A problem with Admin Tools shell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A problem with Admin Tools shell

Hello. Our system administrator unexpectedly bailed out on us, leaving behind a mess, which we need to untangle The problem we're having right now is this. Only two people used to be able to run the admin_tools.msc shell from their login (me being one of them) to create logins. However, now more people need to be able to run the admin_tools from their logins, and it doesn't let them, saying:
    "the snapin below, references in this document has been restricted by policy.Contact your administrator for details. Active Directory Users and Computers"
    I tried many different things, but can't figure out where exactly I need to specify that these people have the level of permissions that'll let them use the program. I hope I'm making myself clear. If somebody knows how to deal with it, I'd be very grateful.
    Thank you very much,
    Luka

That user must have rigths to use that tool and then to make changes if needed. You can create one console by yourself and give rights to that user or users to use it.
    MCSE w2k
    MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

So, every person that has to use the console will have to create its own?

Comment

Originally posted by Lukich
        So, every person that has to use the console will have to create its own?

No, you can create one for the users and give to them rights to use it.
        But remember that user must belong to the right groups to make changes in the directory or whatever they must do with console.
        MCSE w2k
        MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Well, the problem is that I did that, making sure that all the people that need to use it are members of Admin domain. It worked, but not for all of them. The only way to fix that was to recreate their accounts from scratch, I didn't want to do that. I'm trying to figure out, what else might be affecting the permission for these users. Any ideas?
          Thanks,
          Luka

Comment

Originally posted by Lukich
            Well, the problem is that I did that, making sure that all the people that need to use it are members of Admin domain. It worked, but not for all of them. The only way to fix that was to recreate their accounts from scratch, I didn't want to do that. I'm trying to figure out, what else might be affecting the permission for these users. Any ideas?
            Thanks,
            Luka
            Any deny permission? Another strange group on that particular account?
            MCSE w2k
            MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Not really. I was trying some extravagant things by takign my own profile, renaming it as theirs and copy-pasting it into the profiles directory, along with making sure they have all the same permissions in the admin tools shell as I do. It still tells me permission denied. At this point it's more a matter of principle, I can always wipe their logins and recreate them from scratch, but I just want to know, what else can be causing it.

Comment

Well try to find the local domain controller policy or domain policy or some policy in the A.D.
                There's always one doamin default policy.
                Try it and see if theres is something deny the mmc.
                MCSE w2k
                MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

I'll try that. Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                  X