Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seize roles after current FSMO holder failure (Was: Converting ADC To PDC)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seize roles after current FSMO holder failure (Was: Converting ADC To PDC)

Dear all

i am facing problem beacaue my primary domain controller is fail due to hardware problem and never comming back how i converting additional domain controller to primary domain control step by step guide

i am very thanks full to all

regards
    thanks

Re: Converting ADC To PDC

What OS are you talking about?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Assuming you mean Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008, here is a Microsoft article about it...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504/en-us

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        Assuming you mean Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008
        Just wanting to cover all domain controllers there Stonelaughter?!

mrk2008 - I assume you have another DC already setup in this domain and it is that you want to "promote"?
        I've changed the subject to make it easier for users to search however if you feel this isn't correct please PM me.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          Just wanting to cover all domain controllers there Stonelaughter?!
          Look at the "Applies to" in the article...

Tom

Comment

Re: Seize roles after current FSMO holder failure (Was: Converting ADC To PDC)

i am reciving many error messages links when i manually replicate data "synchronizing naming context database error " i can not transfer manually any FSMO roles getting error messages, but i am access my both machine. this is any solution for that

I want to convert my additional domain controller to primaty domain controller in any case but i dont know how

regards
            thanks

Comment

What errors do you get when trying to transfer the roles? Are you carrying out the below method?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255690

If you have problems with the above, give the command line NTDSUTIL a try.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504

Make sure you choose to transfer the roles.

What OS are you using? Questions below remain unanswered.

Comment

Originally posted by mrk2008 View Post
                i am reciving many error messages links when i manually replicate data "synchronizing naming context database error " i can not transfer manually any FSMO roles getting error messages, but i am access my both machine. this is any solution for that

I want to convert my additional domain controller to primaty domain controller in any case but i dont know how

regards
                thanks
                Chances are your DNS settings need to be fixed.

Can you run dcdiag and ipconfig/all on both DC and post the results and also let us know which servers are running DNS? (sanitize if necessary)
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

ok i am final successfully depromting seizing the role and my addition domain controller is primary no and working perfectley

one problem is found that is dns that is because i have no dns install on my additional domain controller and no primary is gone i will going to install dns on my addtional dns works fine but that is not active directory integrated

i have 3 option

1 to all dns server in the active directory forest abc.com

2 to all dns server in the active directory domain abc.com

3 to all domain controllers in the active directory domain abc.com

when i chose option 3 and make it active directory integrated know issue works fine

option 1 and 2 give me error message replica scope could not be set server
                  failure server not found

whats the solution.

Comment

What are your server OS versions?

With your DNS settings, make sure that there is no external DNS server listed in the TCP/IP properties on the NIC.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by mrk2008 View Post
                      ok i am final successfully depromting seizing the role and my addition domain controller is primary no and working perfectley

one problem is found that is dns that is because i have no dns install on my additional domain controller and no primary is gone i will going to install dns on my addtional dns works fine but that is not active directory integrated

i have 3 option

1 to all dns server in the active directory forest abc.com

2 to all dns server in the active directory domain abc.com

3 to all domain controllers in the active directory domain abc.com

when i chose option 3 and make it active directory integrated know issue works fine

option 1 and 2 give me error message replica scope could not be set server
                      failure server not found

whats the solution.
                      You could give this a go: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842560/

If that's already set you could check for any replication errors with Replmon.
                      Also if option 3 works fine then I'd leave it like that for the time being. That means the DNS zone is stored on the Domain partition as opposed to the Application partition with options 1 and 2. Make sure the replication is working properly between DCs though.
                      You could also try to create a new primary zone and see if you could store it on an application partition (Option1 ForestDNSZones and Option2 DomainDNSZones)

Ta
                      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                        What are your server OS versions?

With your DNS settings, make sure that there is no external DNS server listed in the TCP/IP properties on the NIC.

Window server 2003 RTM service pack 2

no external dns server listed in tcp/ip properties i am tring uninstall and reinstall
                        the dns server also remove the file in config dns folder. but the problem still their.

Comment

Working...
                        X