No announcement yet.

Logon Differences Local or Domain [Was: active directory problem]

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logon Differences Local or Domain [Was: active directory problem]

i have a problem with active directory in my home test environment. i have one pc acting as windows server and the other as a xp pro client. For some reason the username i granted access to on server is not able to log on when i put it under, however when i put it under mycomputername(this computer), the assigned password works and i log on? and when i check the properties of my computer. it seems to think it's part of the domain? even though this computer is supposed to be local and not domain?

What's going on?

what should i do to rectify this situation?

and what other info do you require to diagnose my problem?

I was also wondering about something else, when you join a machine to a domain, do you lose all personal settings(wallpaper, files, etc)? Let me know. Thanks.

Re: active directory problem

The XP Pro client is part of the domain. Set the XP Pro workstation to a workgroup and then rejoin it to the domain.

Your 'This Computer' logon is a local account for that XP Pro machine.

The logon is for the network.

Both will have separate local profiles that contain your settings, such as desktop background, so both will be different and joining your computer to the domain will not effect that.

If you do the following.

(1) On the XP Pro machine, create another standalone administrator account. (Type control userpasswords 2 in to the Run box to do so)

(2) Remove it from the domain. Right click on My Computer, Left click Properties, Select the 'Computer Name' tab, click 'Change', put a dot in the 'Workgroup' Radio button and type any name to the right. Click ok and follow onscreen prompts. Use the local 'administrator logon you just created, or current one, when prompted.

(3) The computer should now be restarted. Prompts should do this for you.

(4) Logon as the new administrator account you created.

(5) Right click My Computer, left click properties, select the 'advanced' tab, click 'Settings' under 'User Profiles'.
    Highlight the user account of the profile you wish to copy to the default user. This will be the profile that any local user, or domain user will get, when logging on for the first time.

e.g. This will be the account you have been using to logon.

Click 'Copy To' and then in the top box, type in this: C:\Documents and Settings\Default User

Click ok and then Yes at the prompt.

This has allowed your domain settings to be the same as your current settings when you logon. This is ideal for your home environment but in a corporate one or other entity, you would build an account specifically used to logon and to configure required settings ad customisations on,restart the computer and then copy that profile to the Default User. Relevant permissions and so on, would then be set.

(6) Rejoin the computer to the domain. Go through process '2' above except select 'Domain' this time and then input your domain name. Follow relevant prompts. It should restart afterwards.

(7) You can now logon as a domain user account. This will need to be created in AD. Reset the current password of any AD user account that is already created, to make sure you can use it to logon. Also, make sure it is not locked out or disabled.
    Last edited by Virtual; 19th February 2009, 00:06.

Re: Logon Differences Local or Domain [Was: active directory problem]

Good reply Virtual.

RayC, I have modified your title so it better fits the issue you are experiencing. If you feel it is incorrect please PM me and we can change it to something you prefer. Please have a read of the forum rules as they explain the requirements for posting in Daniels forums.

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?