dns cname redirection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dns cname redirection

dear all, i have just seen a webinar about managing ms dns servers, and was interested in the cname part.

we have a server that allows our people access to documents etc from the internet, but we also use an internal Intranet server, at some point in the future i want to point the name of the Intranet server to the external server (the intarnet is being scrapped). so that people get the external server when they open their ie home page not the current server

the problem is i have tried this morning to set up a cname record so that i type in a name in the address bar eg intranet2 and it should redirect me to an external site (that's what i gathered from the webinar) but its not being resolved by my dns boxes or i have set it up wrongly, i end up with a message that i can't connect or i end up in live search.

have i missed something, i have not used cnames before?

i am sorry if this a bit light information wise, i hope people can gather what i am trying to acheive.

Re: dns cname redirection

I think we need to know more about your DNS setup. If all of your clients are pointing to an internal DNS server, is that internal DNS server authoritative for the company's public DNS zone? If not, is it forwarding? If it's forwarding to external DNS servers then you'll need to make sure to edit the DNS records at whichever company is hosting your DNS records. Where are you editing these DNS settings to make the intranet box point to the internet box? This is how I would set it up

internetbox.domain.com ==1.1.1.1 (Whatever your external IP address is)
    CNAME intranetbox.domain.com == internetbox

Go to a command prompt on a computer on your network and ping the intranetbox.domain.com and see what IP address comes back (if any). Make sure to flush the dns cache on the machine that you're using before each test (ipconfig /flushdns on a Windows machine).
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

hi, ah! i think i see my problem, we are an educational place, and all our pc's are pointed to the internal dns servers.

anything external is resolved by the dns servers at the local council who supply our internet connection.

so if i have got this right, the cname record would have to be on their servers?

could i just change the ip address for the public one in an A record to acheive it?

not as resilient, but would it work?

Comment

just tried, can't do that for an external site.

any ideas

Comment

I think I'm getting confused, or was already confused and am only just now starting to become unconfused. It would seem that what you said you did in the first post was correct: Just make a CNAME record in your internal network that points from intranet.domain.com to whatever your external web space is that you're already using. There shouldn't be much more to it than that. Go to a command prompt, type nslookup, make sure that nslookup is pointing to your internal network DNS server (it will show an IP address when it starts) and then type in the CNAME and FQDN that you created. So if you made a CNAME called intranet.domain.com which points to extranet.domain.com, just type intranet.domain.com into nslookup. Which IP does it point to? Your extranet site or something else? Does any IP come back at all?

Make sure to run ipconfig /flushdns before you do any of this.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
          X