No announcement yet.

How to turn off Reversible Encryption?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to turn off Reversible Encryption?

Auditors are here and they busted me for having reversible encryption enabled. Not sure why it was, but how do I disable it? If it is a security risk, why have it enabled?

Re: How to turn off Reversible Encryption?

In your Default Domain GPO go to Computer Configuration|Windows Settings|Security Settings|Account Policies|Password Policy and set the option to store passwords using reversible encryption to disabled.

Comment

Computer Config - Windows Settings - Security Settings - Account Policies - Password Policies.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc784581.aspx
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Why is it a security issue having it enabled? Wouldn't encrytpion be a good thing?

Comment

I think the emphasis is on "reversible", not "encryption" here... reversible encryption being used for passwords is not a good thing.

Originally posted by Truck View Post
          Why is it a security issue having it enabled?
          Because it's reversible...
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Reversible encryption is reversible, hence the name, and is a security risk. See here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms813423.aspx

Comment

With reversible encryption you are essentially storing the passwords in plain text.

However, when mac users are there which needs to authenticate against the domain you need reversible encryption.
              I'm not sure if this is the case with OSX 10.5.x but with Tiger (10.4) is was needed.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                I'm not sure if this is the case with OSX 10.5.x but with Tiger (10.4) is was needed.
                Easy way to find out... with the bonus that it could really wind up my boss
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                X