Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local desktop profile access after loss of domain (Was: Readding Users after Crash)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local desktop profile access after loss of domain (Was: Readding Users after Crash)

I am working with a small network of computer (~20). Their windows 2003 server crashed with no back up. They had a local domain setup on the server with accounts for each user in active directory. They have a new windows 2008 server that I am trying to get up and running for them (I am relatively new to server world). I can get AD DS installed. Is there anything special I need to do to ensure all the users still have access to the documents on their local computers? Do I need to add user accounts that have the same user name to ensure their access to local files does not change or is there another way I need to add the existing accounts?

Please help!

Brian

Re: Local desktop profile access after loss of domain (Was: Readding Users after Cras

When you setup a new domain and add a machine to it then, whether the username is the same or not, you will get a new profile. Every user will therefore get a clean desktop. With ~20 users you will probably find the easiest thing to do is log on from the server to each newly added machine and move the my documents/other files onto the desktop (or an accessible location) for each user individually.
    The old users profile directory will be restricted from the new users who log on, unless you make them local administrators on the machines, however that isn't a good way to start.

There are methods to give the old profiles back but this involves editing the registry and it isn't always 100% clean.

Make sure you backup AD as well now

I've also modified your title slightly, if you aren't happy with that then PM me and I can change it to something you prefer.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: Local desktop profile access after loss of domain (Was: Readding Users after Cras

The hard drives on the server are still functional. Is there a way to recover active directory from them?

Comment

It depends how it crashed. Was the data corrupt or did the cpu just die (for example). You could replace faulty hardware and try and boot it.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X