Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP firewall auto on when joining domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP firewall auto on when joining domain?

I have'nt really looked into this very deep, but I wanted to hear if you guys know a quick solution...

It seems that the windows firewall turns itself on when I join a computer from one of our sites into our domain. I remote-controll these computers with VNC, so as soon as I join it into the domain... I loose connection to it

Known issue, or am I overlooking something?
    Greetings from
    Petter C.
    Norway

Re: XP firewall auto on when joining domain?

First thing that comes into my mind would be a setting on the default domain policy.
    Have you got any of the following configured: Computer configuration - Admin templates - Network - Network Connections - Windows Firewall - Domain profile

Cheers
    Last edited by L4ndy; 3rd February 2009, 12:53. Reason: Added GP settings
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I have no policy regarding firewall in the default domain policy...

This happened when joining a freshly installed server the other day to... this server was not moved into any OU's, and I have no policies on the "computer" OU where the computers are joined by default.
      Greetings from
      Petter C.
      Norway

Comment

Originally posted by torcar View Post
        I have no policy regarding firewall in the default domain policy...
        From the top of my head, i think it is enabled by default (Although set to not configured)
        This happened when joining a freshly installed server the other day to... this server was not moved into any OU's, and I have no policies on the "computer" OU where the computers are joined by default.
        The default domain policy does apply to the "Computers" container, it doesn't have to specifically be linked to that container.
        What I would suggest is that you make sure the firewall is enabled definitely on the remote machine first.

Cheers
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

To clarify and expand on what L4ndy said:

1. The "Computers" container is not an OU and cannot have Group Policy Objects linked to it.

2. The Default Domain Policy is linked to the Domain object and applies to the entire domain and all affected objects within it. It cannot be superseded (for certain domain-wide matters like password policy) by policies linked to OUs.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
          X