Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabling AD accounts

Hi,

just a quick one that i'm sure is quite simple to answer, however having a bit of a brain freeze this morning...

basically, have disabled an account within AD, the name appears with red circle and white 'x' on it as normal.

however, the name still appears when expanding global security groups in starting up a new email.

any ideas what i am doing wrong, or is this just a 'feature' of AD...

thanks in advance

dv

Re: Disabling AD accounts

Originally posted by dwightvesuvius View Post
    however, the name still appears when expanding global security groups in starting up a new email.
    Do you mean the Global address list (GAL)?
    If so, to hide the user frm GAL, Just find the user in Active Directory and then goto the Exchange Advanced tab on the users property page. Check the Hide from Exchange Address List.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

thanks for the help, however what happens is, the name is removed from the GAL ok, but will still appear when expanding a security group/distribution list.

- you get the little '+' box to the left of the group name in bold, and when you click on that, you get all the names of the members of the group - and even the accounts that are disabled appear in there, which i'm not sure whether they should do...

Comment

Group memberships shouldn't be affected from the fact that the account is disabled or enabled. When you disable the account you need to manually remove them from the mail enabled group otherwise you'll receive a NDR.

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

yep, the group memberships aren't affected at all - they still work fine, but does that mean that this account has to be manually removed from all mail enabled groups?

when users on site expand the groups, they see all the names (even those accounts that have been disabled), and assume that these disabled accounts are still employees, when this is not the case.

if the disabled account has to be manually removed from mail enabled groups, what happens if the account becomes re-enabled - i.e. user returns to site?

Comment

Originally posted by dwightvesuvius View Post
            if the disabled account has to be manually removed from mail enabled groups, what happens if the account becomes re-enabled - i.e. user returns to site?
            That's something you need to figure out, i.e Move the account to a special container (Usually named Disabled Users). document it or whatever, based on your companies account management policy.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Move the account to a special container (Usually named Disabled Users)
              - this won't have any effect on what mail-enabled groups the user is a member of, presumably.

no matter - will document the groups that the user was a member of, remove user from them, and be done with it.

thanks very much for your assistance.

cheers

Comment

Working...
              X