Active Directory user photo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory user photo

I have very little server background. In fact, I just installed server 2008 3 days ago. I have a Xeon PC running on server 2008 and a laptop running XP. They are both linked together by a cross cable. I'm using the PC as a Domain Controller and the laptop as a client. I have to store a JPEG file to every user. I'm not sure how to do that. And I also have to come up with a program that will allow the users to retrieve that JPEG file from the Domain Controller. But first of all, I have to be able to set up the client. I don't know what program to install on the client(laptop). I can ping the laptop using the PC and vice versa. Please help, I don't have much time.

Re: How to set up a client

1) Have you joined your XP to the domain? (My Computer -- Properties -- Computer Name -- Network ID Wizard)
    2) have you shared a folder on the server that the file can go to?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Active Directory user photo

How do i attach a photo to each user on active directory? I wan the user's photo to be stored on a database and everytime i request for a user's photo, AD will retrieve it from the database. Please help me, i'm new to windows server and haven't got that much programming background.

Comment

I dont want to share the files like that. I need to AD to retrieve a jpeg file from a database everytime the photo of a particular user is requested.

Comment

Thats not exactly what you asked for at first, nor is it anything to do with the thread title
          There are ways of storing photos in AD (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...ctory%22&meta=)

But if your database is separate (as you seem to imply), you could use a "spare" field in AD to hold the SQL statement you want to use to select the photo
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Active Directory user photo

I suggest that you carefully review this decision, as adding user photos to the AD will significantly increase the AD db size and replication patterns. A small 200X200 image will take up as much as 20-25K per user, and if you have a lot of them it will dramatically increase the side of the NTDS.DIT file.

Also, if you have a DC at the end of a very slow/poor connection then doing so could overload that connection for a prolonged period of time.

In any case, see this:

Pictures in Active Directory Users and Computers | Oddvar Håland Moe's Blog
            http://www.moe.am/blog/?p=8
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Please don't double post.
              http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=32208 is the same request
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Threads merged.

Please note that Double Posting incurs a 2 week ban. The Christmas/New Year goodwill period is over and this Rule will be enforced again as from February 1.

Thank you.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hey thanks alot man. This really helps. Even though I don't really understand some of the terms, i think i can pull it off.

Comment

Working...
                  X