Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD variable to get the Display name

hi

i remember that there is a variable that is used to get the user Display name

in the user profile tab there is an option that is used to set a mapped drive for the user and i want that to be set automaticcaly to a folder with a name similar to display name

example

\\server\share\users\%username% <--- gets the user name
    \\server\share\users\%displayname% <--- that's what i want

i remember i did it before but i don't remember the command now , also i did a 2 hours google search and i couldn't find the solution

please help me to find the solution.

Re: AD variable to get the Display name

The question is not directly Active Directory related!
    --> moved to the scripting forum

Edit: January 31th 09 --> probably it is ADModify related, Therefore moved back to AD forum again.

ahmed3d, There is no such environment variable %displayname%. The variable probably was added on the user's computer with a tool/script before mapping the shared folder (?)

\Rems
    Last edited by Rems; 31st January 2009, 12:30.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

thanks.

i really didn't get your idea. and do you have any other solution?

Comment

The variables on the user profile tab, you showed (the syntax) are for the clients to try to expand.

"%username%" is a standard environment variable on the computer, the client cannot determine the displayName in Active Directory of the user who is logged on - unless a script is used to determine the displayName and added this as an environment variable.

AFAIK, ADU&C does not have variables it can reconize.
        But a tool like i.e. 'ADModify' is designed to work with variables.
        syntax: \\server\homefolders\%'displayName'%
        The value is enclosed in single straight quotation marks (') to treat it as a variable. If also literal values are used like in this example, you'll need to separate variables by using the percent signs.

That is why I think that there must be something special created on your server or created on the client computers.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
        X