Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD2003 PDC sync with NT4 BDC

Dear all

I have some questions about AD2003 sync with NT4 BDC and want to seek some advice.

The old environment is NT4.0 + Exchange 5.5 and the Exchange 5.5 is installed in the PDC. I have upgraded the NT4.0 to a AD2003 by install a new BDC and then promote it to new PDC and then perform an inplace upgrade. The upgrade completed successfully and now the new infrastructure is 2 x 2003 DC + NT4 BDC with Exchange 5.5.

The system run smoothly in the first few weeks and then I discovered that there is a sync problem between the AD 2003 and the NT4 BDC. When I created an account in the AD2003 DC and then I can select this account in the exchange server administrator to create a mailbox. But the user cannot login to the Exchange by using her credential and she also cannot access the shares in the BDC. And then I can fix it by clicking "Sync the entire domain" in the Server Manager in the BDC.

So, I have the following questions about this problem

1. The exchange 5.5 will contact the BDC or the PDC emulator in the AD2003 for authentication and any other operation? Seems my exchange server don't contact the PDC emulator and I expect it will contact PDC emulator for all of its operation.

2. Any tools or command I can use to view the sync status between PDC emulator and BDC?

3. How the PDC emulator find the BDC to perform the sync? by WINS or by broadcast?

4. Any one encounter my problem before?

Thanks

Re: AD2003 PDC sync with NT4 BDC

Is there a special reason for keeping the NT4 Server a BDC?

Which domain controller(s) are designated as global catalog server.

Did you have raised the domain functional level perhaps? The BDC keeps just a read-only copy that afaik stop receiving updates from the 2003DC-PDC emulator after the domain functional level has been changed.
    In a mixed-mode domain operation, clients can use NetBIOS names to access old-style domain services, or they can use Active Directory to access Windows Server 2003 domain services. To find a Windows Server 2003 domain controller, clients must query a DNS server for a service record.

\Rems
    Last edited by Rems; 26th January 2009, 23:59.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Re: AD2003 PDC sync with NT4 BDC

Yes, because there is a Exchange 5.5 in the existing BDC, so I still need to keep the BDC.

My domain level is Windows 2003 Interim.

Yes, the BDC should just keeps a read-only copy SAM database, but I don't know why the BDC will look into its own SAM for authentication instead of contact the PDC? Actually, I can fix the problem by manually sync the BDC withe the PDC. So, I get confused with the following

1. The BDC will contact the PDC or look into its own SAM for authentication

2. Will the PDC emulator works like NT4 to send out pulse message to the BDC every 5 minutes for the sync. Why I ask because I try to turn on my VM used in POC, it got the same problem with the production environment. The user created in the AD cannot login to the BDC and Exchange, I need to manually sync the BDC with the PDC in server manager or restart the netlogon service. After doing either action, this account can login to the BDC and Exchange 5.5

Many thanks for the help

Originally posted by Rems View Post
      Is there a special reason for keeping the NT4 Server a BDC?

Which domain controller(s) are designated as global catalog server.

Did you have raised the domain functional level perhaps? The BDC keeps just a read-only copy that afaik stop receiving updates from the 2003DC-PDC emulator after the domain functional level has been changed.
      In a mixed-mode domain operation, clients can use NetBIOS names to access old-style domain services, or they can use Active Directory to access Windows Server 2003 domain services. To find a Windows Server 2003 domain controller, clients must query a DNS server for a service record.

\Rems

Comment

Working...
      X