Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS zone RODC

Hello all,
    I have one problem. We have approximately 10 dns zone active directory integrated(to all dns servers in this domain). Now I need replicate only 1 dns zone to Read-only domain controller in the other site. We have next RODC in the another site - there we replicate all dns zone. I read something about filtered attribute set but this option is for all RODC in the domain. I need replicate all dns zone to one RODC and only one dns zone to other RODC.

Any idea?

thanks,
    pepad

Re: DNS zone RODC

You could create a DNS application directory to store a zone with the following command:

dnscmd <ServerName> /CreateDirectoryPartition <FQDN>

Ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc754292.aspx

And then Enlist the RODC in there with:

dnscmd <ServerName> /EnlistDirectoryPartition <FQDN>

Ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753801.aspx

You could then Change the Zone Replication Scope to the Application Partition.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
      You could create a DNS application directory to store a zone with the following command:

dnscmd <ServerName> /CreateDirectoryPartition <FQDN>

Ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc754292.aspx

And then Enlist the RODC in there with:

dnscmd <ServerName> /EnlistDirectoryPartition <FQDN>

Ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753801.aspx

You could then Change the Zone Replication Scope to the Application Partition.

Ta
      How does he prevent all the other zones from replicating to the RODC since they are set domain wide replication? He would have to change every zone to a custom scope and enlist all DNS servers except the RODC.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
        How does he prevent all the other zones from replicating to the RODC since they are set domain wide replication? He would have to change every zone to a custom scope and enlist all DNS servers except the RODC.
        Well, maybe store the other zones in a different application partition(s) and arrange the replication based it's (Their) scope (s).
        What would you suggest??
        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
          Well, maybe store the other zones in a different application partition(s) and arrange the replication based it's (Their) scope (s).
          What would you suggest??
          I'm not sure, your answer isn't wrong, its the first thing I thought of also and it will work. Problem is he will have to change the scope on all zones if he wants to prevent them from replicating to just one RODC which creates a lot of overhead.

Maybe you can uninstall DNS on the RODC and install DNS on a member server in the same site, then setup master/slave replication for the one zone you need at that site. This assumes you have extra member servers out there.

What's the big issue of having all the zones replicating to that site?

Comment

thanks for replies,

I haven't to create other dns server but I'm going to try create next dns apllication directory and set replication.
            p.

Comment

I tried dns application partition - it's working perfect.

L4ndy and Garen - thank you for help.

p.

Comment

No probs, glad to help.
                Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                X