Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No SYSVOL share after dcpromo (server 2003)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No SYSVOL share after dcpromo (server 2003)

This is going to be my first post on this forum, so please bear with me. I saw some other postings close to mine, but none of the solutions worked for me so I decided to sign up.

I am in charge of a small IT department for an amusement park. The current DC (server 2003) is starting to get a little worn down so I am replacing it with a new DC (also server 2003). Everything went fine with the install and the dcpromo. However, I started experiencing problems with the group policy editor. After working my way back some it seems that my new server has a sysvol folder, but it is not shared and it doesn't match the sysvol folder on the old server. I tried running dcpromo again to remove AD on the new server, then again to put AD back on. That didn't seem to do any good.

The only other piece of information I can think to provide at the moment is there might be a DNS problem. I can't ping the FQDN of the new server from the old server. I can ping the FQDN of both servers from my workstation and the new server.

Thank you in advance for your help.

-------------------

I apologize if this is in the wrong category, but since I'm not 100% sure of the problem's source I figured I would start here.
    Last edited by magicspringsadmin; 17th January 2009, 07:12. Reason: add note at bottom

Re: No SYSVOL share after dcpromo (server 2003)

List the steps you used during the DCPROMO exercise.
    Is the operating system the exact same version on both servers? eg. Server 2003 is on the old server so do you have Server 2003 for the new one or is it Server 2003 R2?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

They are actually both SP2.

List of steps:
      1- installed server 2003 OS
      2- performed all updates to OS
      3- installed DNS server on new server
      3- ran "dcpromo"
      4- moved all FSMO roles to new server
      5- noticed Group Policy was giving some problems (network path not available)
      6- found that new server didn't have shared SYSVOL
      7- moved all FSMO roles back to old server
      8- ran "dcpromo" on new server to get rid of AD
      9- ran "dcpromo" on new server to get AD installed again
      10- still no shared SYSVOL on new server

I noticed that even when all FSMO roles were with the new server, <mydomain>.loc still resolved to the old server. I am starting to to really think the base of this problem is the DNS. To further that conclusion, when I was moving FSMO roles over it really didn't want to resolve to the new server if I was working from the old server. I had to actually perform the transition from the new server.

How bad of an idea would it be to completely uninstall DNS, reinstall it and let it build itself up again over the next few days, then migrate to the new server? We are in our off-season at the moment so I have a few extra options such as that.

Comment

I went ahead and removed DNS all around, ran dcpromo to bring AD off of the new server, then reinstalled DNS on the old server. Then started the process all over again.

Now I'm not having any DNS trouble, that is working great. However, after I ran dcpromo yet again, the sysvol on the new server still isn't shared. What am I missing?
        Last edited by magicspringsadmin; 17th January 2009, 10:45.

Comment

Here are the results from dcdiag /a
          Attached Files

Comment

What server was the DCDIAG run from?
            Was the machine joined to the Domain before DCPROMO?
            What does the Event Viewer say?
            And finally some light reading. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;315457
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Dcdiag was run from the old server.
              The server was joined to the domain before the dcpromo.

Here are the two events that stick out:

EventID: 13508
              The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from DOMAINSERVER to MSCFLOCALDC01 for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name domainserver.magicsprings.loc. FRS will keep retrying.
              Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name domainserver.magicsprings.loc from this computer.
              [2] FRS is not running on domainserver.magicsprings.loc.
              [3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the connection has been established.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event ID: 13565
              File Replication Service is initializing the system volume with data from another domain controller. Computer MSCFLOCALDC01 cannot become a domain controller until this process is complete. The system volume will then be shared as SYSVOL.

To check for the SYSVOL share, at the command prompt, type:
              net share

When File Replication Service completes the initialization process, the SYSVOL share will appear.

The initialization of the system volume can take some time. The time is dependent on the amount of data in the system volume, the availability of other domain controllers, and the replication interval between domain controllers.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Comment

To make matters worse, under advisement of my Corp office I dcpromo'd the new server down and then reinstalled Windows completely. After the install I ran dcpromo again, and the same error is happening.

On the plus side, this does tell me which server the problem is on (the old one), but I don't know what to do about it.

Comment

No SYSVOL shares after DCPROMO

I opened a thread under Server 2003, but I am not getting many replies so I figured this might be a better place to post this issue. The old thread is at http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=31975

I have an existing DC named domainserver running Server 2003 SP2. It is slowly dying a horrible death from some hardware problems. I am replacing it with a new server named mscflocaldc01. After installing Server 2003 and all updates i ran dcpromo. After the reboot I am missing my SYSVOL shares on the new server.

The event I am getting is:

EventID: 13508
                  The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from DOMAINSERVER to MSCFLOCALDC01 for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name domainserver.magicsprings.loc. FRS will keep retrying.
                  Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name domainserver.magicsprings.loc from this computer.
                  [2] FRS is not running on domainserver.magicsprings.loc.
                  [3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the connection has been established.

I can resolve both servers by their FQDN.
                  FRS is running on both machines.
                  The topology in AD has been replicated.

Comment

I am moving this to the Active Directory category

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=32109

Comment

Re: No SYSVOL shares after DCPROMO

and you post the "ipconfig /all" of both servers?

Comment

Here they are
                        Attached Files

Comment

Look is a bit more closer to the DNS server in your TCP/IP properties?
                          It's pointing to the old server
                          Ps, thread flagged to be merged. If a topic needs to be moved you can report it to the mods.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

For the time being, the old server (.254) is the correct DNS server. That will change once I get replication and everything else up. DNS is installed on the new server, but no lookup zones have been created.

Thank you for the merge request. I wasn't sure what to do there.

Comment

I have it working now. We ended up burning one of our precious Support Incidents with MS for this one.

They ended up deciding the FRS was fried on the old box, so they stoped ntfrs on both servers and manually copied the folders over. After that, he used a BurFlag key of "d4" on the new server and restarted all the services. He never started the services back on the old server so that it wouldn't cause problems. Had to do a dcpromo /forcepromotion to get AD off the old server, then manually take the entries out of DNS. After that, everything is working great.

Comment

Working...
                              X