No announcement yet.

Converting existing 2000 AD to 2003 AD.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting existing 2000 AD to 2003 AD.

Hi everyone!

Now state:

2000 AD with two DC (2000 server SP4) older machines. One of these DC has all FSMO roles and is DNS server.

I want to:

Keep the existing domain.
    Install a new server to 2003.
    Upgrade/prepare existing 2000 AD to 2003 AD only without upgrading any of the old DC to 2003 server.
    Make the new 2003 server a DC and move FSMO, DNS to this server.

Questions:

Is it possible to only upgrade/prepare the AD without upgrading to windows server 2003?
    If it is what tools do i use?
    How do i transfer the active directory dns zone to the new server?
    Best "backup practise" before upgrading domain?

Thanks in advance!

When I do something like this I always find it best to

a) Full backup to tape, if I have the resources I also take a ghost image of both DCs'.

b) Remove the "secondary" DC (one without FSMO roles etc) from the network (don't uninstall just unplug NIC).

Doing this ensures you will always be able to get your Domain back to pre-ugrade state.

Install your new server with windows 2003,

Then follow http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_adprep.htm

Then you can install AD on your 2003 server and transfer roles to it.

DNS is simple, if running DNS with Active Directory Int zones just install DNS and create new ADI Zones and let AD do the replication.

If using Pri\Sec DNS just update to ADI and do above.

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Thanks! Just what i needed. Some more questions though.

Sorry for pestering you with all these extra questions but since i havent done this before i need to ask these perhaps silly questions.

Is sp4 and a windowsupdate before running adprep enough or is there some hotfixes i still should run?
      In the eventlog File replication i get Source: Ntfrs Event id: 13508 because it is trying to synkronise with a third DC that doesn´t exist anymore. It was removed by my customer a long time ago but he did not uninstall from AD. How do i manually remove it from AD?
      I also have source:w32time event id:64 and event id 54 in the system log. When i ran net time /querysntp it states that it has not been configured on either DC. Should i do this before upgrading or just set up time syncronise on my new 2003 server to an internet timeserver?
      Since you recommended that i remove the DC that does not hold any roles for backup. Can i reconnect it after adprep is complete and just syncronise it? Asking this since it states that i should syncronise before doing domainprep. Since this mabe is not possible should i install a third 2000 dc before it all and disconnect that machine instead?
      If i choose to keep the two DC online when doing adprep. How do i manually syncronise before running domainprep. How do i check to see that the syncronisation is done to the other DC?
      Should i disable antivirus before i do this?

Comment

wow, that is a lot of questions !!!

Firstly Daniel has probably covered a few of them (as usual !!)
        http://www.petri.com/fix_unsuccessful_demotion.htm

Time should always be in sync with all your DC's to ensure no problems occur with replication. So I would personally ensure this is configured prior to your upgrade.

I remove the DC before running adprep and I've never had a problem but looking through this http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325379 it may not be the best way to do it, so I'll leave this open for someone else to answer.

You can push replication manually through AD sites and services, to check its all working properly you can use repadmin.exe and repmon.exe.

Hope this helps and good luck with your upgrade, let us know if you have any problems and\or any fixes you found.

topper

Comment

Yeah Sorry for the pestering

"In the eventlog File replication i get Source: Ntfrs Event id: 13508 because it is trying to synkronise with a third DC that doesn´t exist anymore. It was physically removed from the network by my customer a long time ago but he did not uninstall from AD. How do i manually remove it from AD?"

I saw the link on how to solve this problem but it seemed a bit complicated.
          Cant i just delete the DC from sites and services, domain controllers ou and dns manually?

After this question i will stop pestering
          And i will report back once i am done.

Comment

If it was that easy then Daniel wouldn't have gone to the bother of creating that article !!!

It's not actually that complicated to do and will not take long.

topper

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the speedy replyes!

Comment

Working...
              X