Primary domain controller?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary domain controller?

I have a domain with 2 domain controllers running Server 2003.
    Server_old used to be the DHCP, DNS, file server, VPN server. I added a new DC (Server_new) and moved the DHCP and VPN no problem, the DNS seams to work fine, but it does not replicate the logon scripts. If I disconnect the Server_old, users log in, but the maped drives (through scripts) are not working anymore.
    I tried changing the FSMO roles to the new DC, still the same. What is wrong?

Thanks.

Re: Primary domain controller?

Originally posted by ovlaicu View Post
    I have a domain with 2 domain controllers running Server 2003.
    Server_old used to be the DHCP, DNS, file server, VPN server. I added a new DC (Server_new) and moved the DHCP and VPN no problem, the DNS seams to work fine, but it does not replicate the logon scripts. If I disconnect the Server_old, users log in, but the maped drives (through scripts) are not working anymore.
    I tried changing the FSMO roles to the new DC, still the same. What is wrong?

Thanks.
    How were you deploying the logon script before adding the additional DC? Group Policy or something else?
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Andrew raises a good point. The contents of NETLOGON and SYSVOL are replicated between DCs, and this is where you should store logon scripts. If on the other hand you created another share on one DC, then that won't be replicated. You could use DFS to do this, but I see little point in doing so when there is already a mechanism to do what you want in place.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You should make sure NTFRS replication is in place for all DCs.
        The simpliest test would be to create a small text file on the %logonserver%\netlogon share and verify that it is being replicated to all other domain controllers.
        If it doesn't, you probably have NTFRS replicatoin issues. You should look at the event log on the DCs for more information.

Comment

Working...
        X