Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domain not recognized within virtual server environment (Was [newbie])

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain not recognized within virtual server environment (Was [newbie])

I'm trying to join a virtual machine to the existing domain homenetwork.bkr, however, even when the machine is up and running
    an error is displayed:
    An Active Directory Domain Controller for the domain homenetwork.bkr
    could not be contacted.

Both servers have Win 2008 Server installed and are guest machines within Virtual Server 2005 R2. Active directory is configured on serv01.homenetwork.bkr, using wizards within the Server manager and running dcpromo.exe (basic).

Has anyone encountered similar problems?

Troubleshooting:
    Pinging is successful to serv01 (computer name only)
    Pinging is not successful to serv01.homenetwork.bkr (computer name + domain name)

Re: [newbie]

You should verify that you're able to resolve 'homenetwork.bkr' using nslookup.
    Also, try openning a shared resource using RPC (\\serv01\admin$ for example).

Is your DC installed as Virtual machine as well? if so, is it on the same physical machine?

If the DC is installed on a physical machine or on a virtual machine on a different server, make sure you're using 'Bridged' network adapter (and not NAT).

If your DC is installed on a virutal machine on the same physical machine that hosts the client VMachine, you can try using the 'Host Only' network adapter.

If this does not help, post back with some more information about your environment (VMWware or MS Virtual Server / Desktop), Type of virutal Network Adapter in each machine, etc.

Comment

Re: [newbie]

Originally posted by Smart-X View Post
      You should verify that you're able to resolve 'homenetwork.bkr' using nslookup.
      Also, try openning a shared resource using RPC (\\serv01\admin$ for example).

Is your DC installed as Virtual machine as well? if so, is it on the same physical machine?
      yes the DC is a virtual machine

If the DC is installed on a physical machine or on a virtual machine on a different server, make sure you're using 'Bridged' network adapter (and not NAT).
      I'm using MS Virtual Server, and was connected directly to the internal network, however, the machine retrieves an IP from the router (DHCP), so I don't think it's NAT.

If your DC is installed on a virutal machine on the same physical machine that hosts the client VMachine, you can try using the 'Host Only' network adapter.

If this does not help, post back with some more information about your environment (VMWware or MS Virtual Server / Desktop), Type of virutal Network Adapter in each machine, etc.
      Virtual machine OS: Win Server 2008
      Host OS: WinXP 64 bit SP2
      Virtual Server 2005 SP1 R2

Comment

Re: Domain not recognized within virtual server environment (Was [newbie])

Are you using VMWare?

Comment

Original post states Virtual Server 2005 R2 - not VMware.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Sorry, I missed the Virtual Server part.

If the virutal client machine retrieves DHCP settings from the router, it probably gets the DNS server of the router iteself or your ISP. If that is the case, then it cannot resolve the DNS name of the domain. (Pinging the NETBIOS server name would work because once name resolution failed through WINS / DNS, it would broadcast to the local network to resolve)

Try to do as follows:
            1. On your virtual client machine, open the network configuration of your NIC and set the DNS server address manually to the address of your DC.(You can leave the IP address set to DHCP)

2. If you also want to be able to browse the Internet, open the dnsmgmt.msc on the DC and configure it to forward requests to you'r router or to your ISP's DNS IP addrss.

Comment

Originally posted by smart-x View Post
              sorry, I Missed The Virtual Server Part.

If The Virutal Client Machine Retrieves Dhcp Settings From The Router, It Probably Gets The Dns Server Of The Router Iteself Or Your Isp. If That Is The Case, Then It Cannot Resolve The Dns Name Of The Domain. (pinging The Netbios Server Name Would Work Because Once Name Resolution Failed Through Wins / Dns, It Would Broadcast To The Local Network To Resolve)

Try To Do As Follows:
              1. On Your Virtual Client Machine, Open The Network Configuration Of Your Nic And Set The Dns Server Address Manually To The Address Of Your Dc.(you Can Leave The Ip Address Set To Dhcp)
              this Is Set To 127.0.0.1, Guess It's Fine

2. If You Also Want To Be Able To Browse The Internet, Open The Dnsmgmt.msc On The Dc And Configure It To Forward Requests To You'r Router Or To Your Isp's Dns Ip Addrss.
              do I Update This From Conditional Forwarding?

Comment

Originally posted by jon80 View Post
                ???
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  ???
                  Sorry about that, I replied on the questions answered, but I got an error message reading that the message has to be at least 10 characters.

So there's two ways around it
                  - remove the [quote] tags
                  - add the meaningless numbers

Comment

Sh you replied within the quotes?
                    That doesn't make it easier to read. Better reply outside the quotes.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

If your client machine's DNS server is set to 127.0.0.1, then it isn't fine because it should point to the IP Address of your DC...

I suggest you do the following:
                      1. Open the network adapter configuration on your DC.
                      2. Check if the IP address is set to DHCP or Manual.
                      A. If DHCP, change it to manual and configure an IP address which is in your subnet, but not distributed by the DHCP.
                      B. If already set to manual, just right down the address

3. Open the Network adapter configuration on your client machine and configure the DNS server to the IP address of your DC.

Once you do that, the client machine will use the DNS service installed on your DC for all DNS name resolution. It should then be able to resolve YOURDOMAIN.com. In order to test it, use nslookup yourdomain.com at command line. The address should be resolved and you should see the ip address of you DC. At this point, the problem described on the original post should be resolved.

However, once your client machine is configured to use the DC as DNS, you won't be able to browse the internet. In order to do that, you should configure the DNS server on the DC in the following way:
                      1. Start --> Run --> dnsmgmt.msc
                      2. On the left pane, expand 'DNS'
                      3. Right click on the name of your server and select 'Properties'
                      4. Go to 'Forwarders' tab
                      5. Make sure 'All other DNS domains' is selected in the upper list box
                      6. type the IP address of your ISP's DNS server in the 'Selected domain's forwarder IP address list' and click 'Add'

Now, go to the client machine and try using 'nslookup www.google.com'
                      You should now see the IP addresses of google and you should be able to browse the Internet.

Post back to tell us if it works.

Comment

Yeah I got the point

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-X View Post
                          If your client machine's DNS server is set to 127.0.0.1, then it isn't fine because it should point to the IP Address of your DC...

I suggest you do the following:
                          1. Open the network adapter configuration on your DC.
                          2. Check if the IP address is set to DHCP or Manual.
                          A. If DHCP, change it to manual and configure an IP address which is in your subnet, but not distributed by the DHCP.
                          B. If already set to manual, just right down the address

3. Open the Network adapter configuration on your client machine and configure the DNS server to the IP address of your DC.

Once you do that, the client machine will use the DNS service installed on your DC for all DNS name resolution. It should then be able to resolve YOURDOMAIN.com. In order to test it, use nslookup yourdomain.com at command line. The address should be resolved and you should see the ip address of you DC. At this point, the problem described on the original post should be resolved.

However, once your client machine is configured to use the DC as DNS, you won't be able to browse the internet. In order to do that, you should configure the DNS server on the DC in the following way:
                          1. Start --> Run --> dnsmgmt.msc
                          2. On the left pane, expand 'DNS'
                          3. Right click on the name of your server and select 'Properties'
                          4. Go to 'Forwarders' tab
                          5. Make sure 'All other DNS domains' is selected in the upper list box
                          6. type the IP address of your ISP's DNS server in the 'Selected domain's forwarder IP address list' and click 'Add'

Now, go to the client machine and try using 'nslookup www.google.com'
                          You should now see the IP addresses of google and you should be able to browse the Internet.

Post back to tell us if it works.
                          Well, just by configuring a manual address on the server, the virtual machine can access the internal network and the Internet. I configured the router as the gateway.

Initially I could not connect to the new DC, so I configured DNS to the IP address of the new DNS.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X