Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to disable Windows 2000 Guest Account per GPO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable Windows 2000 Guest Account per GPO?

We have a Windows Server 2003 Domain with Windows 2000 Pro and XP Machines.

Now how can i disable the Guest Account per GPO? I tryed allready to use this:

Computer Configuration/Windows Setting/Local Policy?Security Options/Accounts/Account:Guest account status=disable

but it does not work. The Guest Account is still active.

What can i do now?

Thanks for Help.

Daniel

I have not had a look, but I'm guessing this is something that is not done at any particular GPO level but must be done through the Default Domain Policy.

User policies tend to be global in nature and can only be done at the global level, AKA, Default Domain Policy.

Because I have not made the effort to test it and if I'm wrong send me an angry emoticon

Comment

> Because I have not made the effort to test it and if I'm wrong send me an angry emoticon

Consider it done ;-0 Seriously, there are very few policies that only work on the domain level, and none of them are user policies. The most important category is the password policy.

> but it does not work. The Guest Account is still active.

You may be applying it in the wrong place. The policy should apply to computer accounts. Take an XP machine where it is not working, and run rsop.msc to see which GPO's are active.

Comment

Guest Account in Win2k

In my Case is the policy on Win XP is working how it should. When i use the rsop.msc tool i can verify that the policy is applied. But on Win 2k isnt applied. How can i troubleshoot this. Is there a tool like the result set tool in xp?

Why is the xp ok and 2k not? where is the difference?

thanks for help.

Comment

Check the event logs for GPO related errors.
          A good reference for troubleshooting the GPO is the following KB: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=250842
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

errors etc.

Originally posted by guyt
            Check the event logs for GPO related errors.
            A good reference for troubleshooting the GPO is the following KB: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=250842
            I get no GPO related errors in the event log. The userenv.log tells me also no information about the GPO settings. I tryed also gpotool and gpresult on the computer and everything seams to be ok. gpresult tells me that the security settings from the GPO are applied succesfull.

But i can still login with the guest account.

I have no idear why. Ok i will try to find something from the MS article.

thanks.

Comment

This is a daft question and I do apologise for asking but, you are logging in with the local Guest account and not the domain guest account ?

and the Guest account is still named Guest (i.e. it's not been renamed to a custom name).

topper
              * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Guest Account in Win2k

Originally posted by topper
                This is a daft question and I do apologise for asking but, you are logging in with the local Guest account and not the domain guest account ?

and the Guest account is still named Guest (i.e. it's not been renamed to a custom name).

topper
                Hi topper,

Yes i do login with the local guest account and i want to disable this account, ok i can rename the account but it is still active, right. So i want to disable this account and for the future when i need the guest again i want to use the domain guest account . (We are a School and every year i have to open the computer for the public).

But my problem is still that the local guest is open.

What can i do?

PS: Maybe my thinking in this constallation is not quit good, than i apologize for that and ask for your suggestion what i can do better.

Thanks.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                X