• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stoppping msn from GPO

have tried and tried with this policy for both user and comp cofiguration
    but still users are able to load up msn etc

Any help i would love
    Ta

have you tried trust-no-exe? It's a third party too (free!) which can block exe's at the driver level - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I think the problem here is that the GPO is meant to block a different program. The version built into XP is actually 'Windows Messenger' which from I've seen it effectively blocks. I believe that the problem is that 'MSN Messenger' is a different application and therefore immune to the GPO.

If you're having problems with users installing or using 'Windows Messenger' you can remove it using a batch file at logon using the following command.

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

You'll probably need to use a different method to block MSN messenger, like blocking the ports at the router/gateway.
      Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Here's one solution

Is this XP or Win2k workstations? On Win2k it wont work.
        However, regardless of win2k/XP, use the "Do not run these programs" function instead, and put in the name of the MSN exe file.

Other than that have you done any kind of testing to verify that
        the Group Policy is actually applied?

Besides I think MSN requires Windows Messenger.

Regards...

Comment

Working...
        X