Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dcdiag failure: The registry lookup failed to determine the state of the SYSVOL.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dcdiag failure: The registry lookup failed to determine the state of the SYSVOL.

dcdiag failure message in its entirety:

The registry lookup failed to determine the state of the SYSVOL. The error returned was 1346

(Either a required impersonation level was not provided, or the provided impersonation level is invalid.)

. Check the FRS event log to see if the SYSVOL has successfully been
    shared.

Environment:

Forest with 1 Parent Domain and 1 Child Domain
    dcdiag command performed on PDC emulator of the parent domain: dcdiag /e /v

Characteristic of error and characteristics of domain and DC's involved:

-appears on 4 of 5 of my child DC's
    -error does not appear for any of the 3 parent DC's
    -No relevant messages in the Event Viewer Logs of any of the child DC's
    -When I go to \\<child dc>\ I see the SYSVOL share shared out for all 4 DC's associated with the failure in the dcdiag output.
    -I can browse those SYSVOLs no problem.
    -My client machines/users accessing the 4 child DCs mentioned above do not have a problem executing the logon scripts that reside in SYSVOL
    -running "net share" on the 4 DCs shows that SYSVOL is shared on the 4 DCs

I tried googling the error message but the results were addressing pretty serious Domain health conditions.

"repadmin /syncall /A /D /e /P" yields zero sync errors

"repadmin /replsum /bysrc /bydest /sort:delta" yields zero "fails"

Question:

Can I ignore this error? Any ideas on the "impersonation" portion of the error?

Thanks!

Re: dcdiag failure: The registry lookup failed to determine the state of the SYSVOL.

What account are you using?
    Have you tried a different one?
    Are you running Dcdiag locally or remotely against the boxes?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: dcdiag failure: The registry lookup failed to determine the state of the SYSVOL.

What account are you using?
      -I am using two different Enterprise Admins in the Parent domain. One of which is the original "Administrator" account of the Parent domain.

Have you tried a different one?
      -yes, see above response

Are you running Dcdiag locally or remotely against the boxes?
      -dcdiag /e /v was performed on the PDC Emulator of the Parent, thus remotely. The specific error message is occurring for 4 of 5 Child DCs (CHILD-DC1, CHILD-DC2, CHILD-DC3, and CHILD-DC4.) The output of dcdiag /e /v from the original post was performed on PARENT-DC1.

CHILD-DC1 & CHILD-DC2 are in the same site
      CHILD-DC3 is in a site by itself
      CHILD-DC4 is in a site by itself

When I run dcidag /e /v on CHILD-DC1 the specific error message is not seen for CHILD-DC1 or CHILD-DC2, but it is seen for the 2 other DC's not in the same site.

When I run dcidag /e /v on CHILD-DC2 the specific error message is not seen for CHILD-DC2 or CHILD-DC1, but it is seen for the 2 other DC's not in the same site.

When I run dcidag /e /v on CHILD-DC3 the specific error message is not seen for CHILD-DC3, but it is seen for the 3 other DC's.

When I run dcidag /e /v on CHILD-DC4 the specific error message is not seen for CHILD-DC4, but it is seen for the 3 other DC's.

specific error message = The registry lookup failed to determine the state of the SYSVOL. The

error returned was 1346

(Either a required impersonation level was not provided, or the provided impersonation level is invalid.)

. Check the FRS event log to see if the SYSVOL has successfully been

shared.

Comment

Working...
      X