No announcement yet.

Computer object migration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer object migration

I'm performing computer migration(ADMT3.0) from windows 2000 to 2003(intraforest). I have more than more than 4000 domain local and global groups in the source domain which has computers and users as members of it. I would like to know what would be best approach to perform the computer migration. Would it be good to converted global and domain local groups to universal groups type and migrate the groups first and perform the computer object migration or migrate the computers first and then migrate the groups. Please help me take a decision on this....

Re: Computer object migration

By your question I see you did not read the ADMT Document guide which has a very good explanation on how and what order to do the migration.
    you could obtain the Document guide file at the following link:

You may want to consider using ADMT v3.1.
    ADMT Guide:
    Last edited by Akila; 14th December 2008, 13:51.

I did go through ADMT3.0 guide and was confused about computer object migration because of the below mentioned MS article. One of the MS article says its a mandate to perform computer migration first and then migrate the Groups pls refers the URL - where as the ADMT 3.0 guide says migrate groups first and then computer object. I feel it’s a contradictory statement… Pls help me clarify this…

The MS TID refers to groups that Computer Objects are member of, it does not refer to Groups that Users are members of.
        If you got groups that have Computer objects that are a member of those groups then you need to migrate those groups before hand.
        as a golden rule the Order of migration is the following:
        1) Service Accounts
        2) Global/Universal Groups
        3) Local Groups (Domain Local)
        4) User account
        5) resources (e.g. Servers/Workstations, etc).