Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless GPO Weirdness

Hi Folks,

When using GPMC and creating a Wireless Policy (2003 Native), I am getting some strange behaviour and was wondering if it is normal.

When creating a Preferred Network using WEP as the Data Encryption method, my preferred network shows up in the Settings tab of the GPMC under Preferred Networks.
    However, when I change it to AES or TKIP, it does NOT show up in the Settings tab of the GPMC under Preferred Networks.

So WEP shows and TKIP and AES do not when selected as the Data Encryption method.

What's up with that? Is that normal?
    Last edited by spd_demon; 8th December 2008, 22:32.

Re: Wireless GPO Weirdness

Could you please double check your post... at the moment it reads that you're changing the setting from WEP to WEP
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

LOL, thanks Ya read it again and I confused myself
      Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have a play around in the lab and get back to you soon.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I think I had that once, and the problem was since the server did not have wireless hardware so the policy failed.

Comment

That would be a bit dodgy - a group policy designed to apply to clients that could only be set if the *server* had a certain piece of hardware.

Did you confirm this suspicion by installing a wireless adapter on your server?

Don't forget that multi-homing a DC can lead to... quirks.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Have tried everything. I created multiple preferred networks with various data encryption methods and as soon as I use anything other than WEP they don't show up under Preferred Networks. Might have hit a bug.

I've also installed certificate services in my virtual world to rule out that scenario and no change was seen.

I would doubt as well that an enterprise class server (blades) would need a wireless adapter.

Comment

so you do have a WiFi Hardware installed on the server (am I correct)?

Comment

No, there is no wireless hardware in the server.

Comment

B-Shock ``

Hello everybody,I'm new here. A manga website has drawn my attention recently,I discovered that it renews very quickly, moreover very speededtherefore recommends to you guys.URL DELETED BY MOD By the way,is anybody crazying about B-Shock(manga)? Contact me~

Another spammer bites the dust. Thread left as a warning to others.
                    Last edited by Ossian; 12th December 2008, 09:00.

Comment

Re: B-Shock ``

No, we are all IT professionals and are not crazying (sic) about anything except possibly Vista SP2. Go find someone else to hassle
                      Spammer BANNED FOR LIFE and post deleted.
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by spd_demon View Post
                        No, there is no wireless hardware in the server.
                        then here you go, we had the same thing b/c GPO of wireless were applied on servers without WiFi Hardware, once removed the GPO from those servers everything went well.

Comment

SnakEye, he's not applying the GPO to the server - he's managing the GPO using GPMC on the server, as stated in the OP.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

ohhh, I see , I guess I got it wrong.
                            any way make sure that the Server you trying to manage the GPO has a connection to the PDCE server and make sure you don't have ADM files configured in the SYSVOL FRS replica set Filters in the Active Directory under System - file replication service - Domain system Volume (SYSVOL).

"gforceindustries" BTW /Off this Topic - I tried giving you reputation point for pointing my error out but it did not add you any points (don't know why), SO ... I am thanking you here on this post.
                            Last edited by SnakEye; 14th December 2008, 15:45.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakEye View Post
                              I tried giving you reputation point for pointing my error out but it did not add you any points (don't know why)
                              Thanks at present there are certain requirements that you have to meet before you are able to increase somebody's reputation. This has been under debate for the last few days - have a read of this thread here http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=28219
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X