SNOOPING

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNOOPING

What are some of the valid uses of using the microsoft share (c$) besides snooping on someones machine. This would be uses that are not available using any of the other built in management tools.

well so long as your permisisons are setup right then no 'snooping' should go on. plus what computer user (in a networked environment) stores data on their c: drive??!!
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

The administrative shares have more to them than just snooping. I've seen use for them in various scenarios, take installing AV software, using DFS, creating new shares by using the Shared Folders snap-in, and many many more. In fact, disabling them sometimes might break things...
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

ok, sigh, let me be more specific, and perhaps i can nail down some specific answers to the questions i seek rather than why this and why that. believe me, there are people who keep files on their machines rather than on the network.

Now, what 'specifically' can accessing an individuals hd by using the unc \\compname\c$\ do for me as an administrator. For those storing 'secret' files on their machines, they view the ability to 'see' their harddisk and the contents as a security breech. EFS would protect the data, but again, what valididity is there to an admin being able to bring up the hd of someones machine. I am talking specifically about using the c$ paramater guys. Do none of you run into this issue with your superiors?

Comment

Working...
        X