Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did a Dcpromo /forceremoval now the Administrator password does not work.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did a Dcpromo /forceremoval now the Administrator password does not work.

Hello and thank you for your help. My name is Bertland and i recently finished my undergraduate studies in IT. However i have no formal experience with Windows 2000 server or Active Directory.

Tuesday 18 Nov 2008
    I did a forced DCpromo in the hopes of fixing a few errors i have been getting complaints about ever since i got this job. Things like "The Specified Domain Either Does Not Exist or Could Not Be Contacted"

There is also an issue with the network printer.
    However this i can fix. I have been doing some research and i am still lost when it comes to this error, hence i said i would just start from scratch.

The users at my office cannot log onto their workstations, while some can.
    I feel so lost and stupid i broke a cardinal rule and now i cant get the system up.

So far i have gotten some information from John in regards to the admin password.
    My questions are:
    1: Can the old active directory users and such be recreated NOTE : I did not perform a
    backup before i demoted the server.
    2: Can a guru point me in the right direction via info or links in regards to the text in
    bold italics underlined above.

I just wanna say thanks to u for taking the time to read my long newbie post and big to those who reply and proved useful information thank you.

Ps i may add other things to this as i am a newbie.
    TO DI WERRRRL!!!!!

Re: I did a Dcpromo /forceremoval now the Administrator password does not work.

Do you have any other domain controllers and any more information about your setup?

If that was the last server you are looking at a lot of work.

The error means the domain couldn't be contacted which can have several different sources. DNS problems, local config issues etc.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yea i do i will get that information and post it within the next 20 minutes as i am not at work as yet.

AndyJG247 I really appreciate the speedy response.

Comment

If you have another DC in the setup. We all provide you inputs that will help you come out of the situation.

we need some more info about your network setup

1: Can the old active directory users and such be recreated NOTE : I did not perform a
        backup before i demoted the server.

yes if we have another PDC running. Basically PDC would be holding All users and now it depends which DC you have blown away, was it child ?
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Ok, the basics.

If you have several domain controllers in your domain, there will be no issue from demoting the DC (other than clients failing to authenticate to the other dc's). Now if these clients can't find an authenticating DC, it is most likly that your server will fail to authenticate towards a DC. But then again, we would probably have a cached credential which which might allow you to logon without actually authenticating towards the domain. This whole story seems to be unlikly, so it makes me guess that you have only one DC , and demoted the last DC in your domain. If this is the case, you will only be able to logon to your server using the Active directory restore account, which has been specified when promoting this server to dc.
          [Powershell]
          Start-DayDream
          Set-Location Malibu Beach
          Get-Drink
          Lay-Back
          Start-Sleep
          Wake-Up!
          Resume-Service
          Write-Warning
          [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

There is a DC2 I blow away DC1. DC2 has not been up since i have been here i just see it in the server room. Note my office is pretty small but its the principle of the thing that has made it into such a BIG DEAL.

Right now i am booting in Directory Service Repair Mode.
            Its taking forever to recover lost files, this might be due to the spec This server is in mhz not gigs.

My setup as i understand it
            -----------------------------------
            internet
            firewall
            DC1 : i killed it
            DC2 : not used
            10 : computers
            10 : user accounts

The primary dns was the ip address for DC1.
            The default gateway was the ip address for the firewall.

again this is how i understand it.
            please point out if i have made any errors or left any thing out.

Comment

Killerbe i agree with you on that but i am having a problem with the Admin Password. I don't know it. I am attempting a solution i found online for similar problems. However the server is stuck in the recovery console.

Comment

Hey,

DC1 is blown away and DC2 wasn't functional and it seems like you need to rebuild unless you have a recent system state backup.

Since there is no DC left in the Environment that's why Admin is failing authentication
                Thanks & Regards
                v-2nas

Comment

i have a Windows server 2003 machine that i have been fooling around with however,

1: What about my pervious users and there setting and such
                  2: Can i migrate this information even though there pervious domain was windows 2000 server.

Can i just drop in the Windows 2003 machine and set it up with the same ip as the pervious DC1 example 10.100.100.7 will this work.

My users need to access the internet and send emails and such my head is hurting me man what a day.

Or should i jus install windows server 2000 back on this DC1 that i killed and configure it from there.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand: You demoted the only DC on your domain without taking a backup?

If that is the case: how many users do you have ?
                    VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Since you have blown away the only working DC and the other DC is not working for you so you need to redo the whole thing now.

Since you don't have system state back up as said earlier.

Is it possible that i can remote into the server if you have internet access on the server.

here is my im id [email protected]
                      Thanks & Regards
                      v-2nas

Comment

As you removed the last domain controller within your domain, your domain no longer exists. The only way is to restore your server, and you will need your active directory restore password. You cannot migrate, as the old domain is not available anymore. In worst case senario, you need to rebuild the domain, create the user accounts again, take ownership of the files again, and reset the ACL's.

A whole lot of work!
                        [Powershell]
                        Start-DayDream
                        Set-Location Malibu Beach
                        Get-Drink
                        Lay-Back
                        Start-Sleep
                        Wake-Up!
                        Resume-Service
                        Write-Warning
                        [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for all your comments/advice.
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          I am going to redo the whole thing.
                          -----------------------------------------------
                          ------
                          -----
                          ---
                          --
                          -
                          Now i know what the price of ignorance is.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                          X