Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could my AD domain name have a conflict if I do this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could my AD domain name have a conflict if I do this?

Hi there:

First time posting here, so "Hello" to everyone and thanks to Daniel Petri for the darn best Windows resource website ever.

Alright, here's my question/dilema: Lets say you have a small LAN at home and you are running W2K3 with AD installed and you chose your domain name to be XYZ.COM and it is not a real domain name in the internet name space. AD installs fine because you are using non-routable network subnet (192.168.x.x), and AD will not complain about the domain name already being used. But what if you later decide to register XYZ.COM as a valid domain name on the internet? Or worse yet, somebody else does? Will the W2K3 server running AD complain that there's a domain name conflict?

Please let me know if I need to explain myself further or make the case more clear. Thanks.

OK, I think I have understood what the problem could be:

1) If I buy the domain name, I will not be be able to reach the website on the internet because my DNS server will be resolving it "inside" my network. I could try a split DNS so it looks for it outside my non-routable LAN.

2) Domain rename: I am thinking of renaming my domain in W2K3 so it says XYZ.LOCAL instead of XYZ.COM. That way I can enjoy both worlds.

Comment

2) Domain rename: I am thinking of renaming my domain in W2K3 so it says XYZ.LOCAL instead of XYZ.COM. That way I can enjoy both worlds.
      Read Daniel's article on this: http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_domain_rename.htm

That being said, Daniel and several others on this board advise against doing this. While it can be done it doesn't look like it's the best idea in the world.

Proven e-Commerce Solutions
      340 N. 12th St.
      Suite 200
      Philadelphia PA 19107

Comment

It's not that bad...

The AD will live. the only issues that will come up are:
        - If you later buy the domain name and want to use it externally, you will end up with "split brain" DNS configuration - a bit of a mess to manage but all the issues have technical solution
        - if someone else buys the domain, the only problem you will have is that your network clients will not be able to access external resources from this domain.

With all that said, it's generaly a good idea to pick unique name for your AD - something that will probably not be in use externally (i.e.: guytcorp.net)
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

I tend to see this scenario quite often on usergroups and KB forums. The part that I can't understand is why would someone install an Internal domain with even the slightest possibility that it could be registered externally, however obscure the name.

Why not use <domain>.local ? .local cannot be registered externally and so this issue will never arise, unless you host your own internet facing DNS why would you want the configuration ?

Am I missing something obvious ??

Topper
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Originally posted by topper
            Why not use <domain>.local ?
            Politics... Management always like the idea of having all internal services available with names containing the company name. The ".local" is confusing users and is not favoured by the management. They just want it to be as similar as possible to naming stigmas.

If you are wise, you usually buy the domain name you are going to use internally - solves all the issues.
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
            X