User Authentication Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User Authentication Issue

I have a problem that implies there is some corruption of the credentials for one user on one computer in my domain, but am unsure how to fix it without totally blowing away the users profile, which I do not want to do. Here is the issue: The user, when logged into their normal computer, appears to authenticate properly with the DC. Files that are created locallly are owned by the [email protected] as expected. However, when the user attempts to access shared areas on the network write permissions are not given to certain resources as expected and if the user does create a file or directory in a place where everyone has write permissions, the owner is "guest" instead of [email protected] If the same user logs in to any other computer on the network, all permissions work correctly...that is files that are created on the network are owned by [email protected], not by guest. The main issue is not really the ownership of files, it is that the network views the user as "guest" when logged in from her own computer and thus most restricted files and directories are unavailable. As pointed out above, this only happens if the user is logged into her own computer, not other computers in the domain, so the problem must be some corruption of credentials on the users computer. If someone can give me a pointer to how to fix this, I would appreciate it!

Re: User Authentication Issue

are you sure the user is logging in to the workstation using his domain user and not the local user (DOMAIN\UserID, not COMPUTER\UserID, even though it
    could be the same name)?
    it sounds like he logs on his PC using his local User.

Comment

Yes, I'm sure. I'm doing it myself using the users domain credentials. In fact the user does not even have a local account. Also, I changed the password for the user on the DC and logged in on the users computer using the new password successfully, but the remote permissions problems described in my original post still persist. By the way, when logged into the "problem" computer using other domain accounts, there is no problem, only with the one account. So clearly it seems to be some problem with the profile for the user on that computer.

Comment

Do other users experience problems if they use that computer? Have you tried removing the locally cached copy of that user's profile from the machine? Have you tried removing the machine and re-adding it to the domain? Any errors in the event log on the machine?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Other users have no problem on the machine in question....only the specific user. As I reported, I'd prefer not to blow away the uses entire profile on that machine because it is the users primary machine and has lots of settings in the profile that would be lost. Also, the users files are all local to the machine, except for a few share areas on the network which are not working properly. I did not remove and readd the machine to the domain since other users work fine and therefore the problem seems to be local to the user's profile on that machine.

Comment

Working...
          X