No announcement yet.

WinXP w SP2 machines on AD and GPO

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP w SP2 machines on AD and GPO

This is interesting but unusual. I am administrator for my department of around 100 in a forest of thousands, have sufficient rights to create and maintain GPO's. The machines involved are all Dell's, less than 2 years old. We are running XP Pro on the workstations. I have had a second machine show that the new 'firewall' built into service pack 2 is not 'turned on'. It is turned on in GPO, and the user is authenticating into it.

I pulled her machine up via the management console and did a remote 'manage' on it. looking at the event viewer in the system folder i find an error for service control manager "The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service terminated with the following error:
    An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used. "
    What does it look like to one of you guys? Going to the machine in question does not allow me to turn the service on... it says it cannot.

try the following first, if this doesn't work then try the 2nd option.

REG DELETE HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAcces s /v DependOnService
    REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAcces s /v DependOnService /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "Netman"
    Reboot Machine

* Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

I would also try:

1) dumping the TCP/IP configuration to a file with "netsh dump > file.txt" and looking for malformed IP or IPX addresses (i.e.:

2) Dig in the registry under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Param enters and again loook for malformed IP addresses.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"