installing AD 2003 using non-windows based DNS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing AD 2003 using non-windows based DNS

I have a win 2003 server with terminal services installed along with Citrix. This is the only windows box I have.

I'm ready to use dcpromo to install AD but I would like to use an exisiting DNS server sitting in a Linux box. Is this possible?

Yes you can as long as the 2k DC has access to update zone information on your DNS server.

Point your 2k box at your DNS server before you run DCpromo, and run some test queries.

During DCPROMO choose the option "Do not auto setup DNS, i will config this myself".

Topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

You will need to enable dynamic updates in BIND. As those are not secure - this is generally not the best idea.

Alternatively, you can delegate the AD specific sub-zones (_msdcs, _tcp, DomainDNSZones, etc...) from BIND to MS DNS, while keeping the main zone on BIND.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

There is another option - you can manually import the NETLOGON.DNS file from the DC's system32\config folder to the BIND server. You need to do this for all your DCs.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Is Bind really needed? The DNS server is on a Linux box.

Comment

BIND is most likely the system that is running DNS on your Linux box...
            Server 2000 MCP
            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

How about putting in static entries?

Comment

Working...
              X