Wildcard DNS forwards in 2003 DNS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildcard DNS forwards in 2003 DNS

I would like to forward in this format in the 2003 domain using the GUI. On the DNS Server forwarders tab

DNS Domain:

(default)All other DNS domains = blank

(add) *.sudodomain.com = 10.10.1.1, 10.10.1.254

Would this work?

Re: Wildcard DNS forwards in 2003 DNS

There's no wildcard for conditional forwarding.

Comment

^ What he said - you can't do this. Why would you want to?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

you can do it just fine, you actually don't need the wiled card.
        just put "sudodomain.com" and the IPs you want to forward and you got every thing behind the "." covered.
        Just make sure that the clients have in their TCPIP -> DNS settings "append parent suffix for the primary dns suffix" marked/checked.
        Last edited by Akila; 11th November 2008, 22:16.

Comment

Akila - are you sure you're thinking of forwarders, not creating a new forward lookup zone?
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Akila - are you sure you're thinking of forwarders, not creating a new forward lookup zone?
            as far as I understand he is refering to a conditional forwarders unless I got him wrong.

Comment

You could also try making subdomain.com a secondary foward lookup zone and having the records of the servers authorative for the subdomain.com domain.

Also a stub domain would be worth trying.

edit::: I got carried away messing about and created a stub zone for yahoo.com, thought i'd share it but using the details from the original post.

Firstly on your dns server go to a command prompt and type
              nslookup
              >set type=ns
              >subdomain.com

You will then get something like whats shown below.

Non-authoritative answer:
              sumdomain.com nameserver = ns1.subdomain.com
              ns1.subdomain.com internet address = 10.10.1.3

Next create a stub domain for subdomain.com in the forward lookup zone.
              In master DNS server enter the name server(s) for the subdomain.com domain
              Then right click the stub zone and choose reload from master
              all the records will appear.
              Last edited by uk_network; 12th November 2008, 00:08.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

The reason we are trying to do this is because we have a large number of sub (sub..) domains that have resources in them that clients need to get to.

example we have resources in
                test.sudodomain.com = 10.10.1.1, 10.10.1.254
                dev.sudodomain.com = 10.10.1.1, 10.10.1.254
                qa.sudodomain.com = 10.10.1.1, 10.10.1.254
                west.test.sudodomain.com = 10.10.1.1, 10.10.1.254
                east.west.test.sudodomain.com = 10.10.1.1, 10.10.1.254

etc.. that clients may need to get to depending on their job profile ... we have 21 such sub domains that we are currently doing conditional forwarding on

If I could have done some kind of wildcard forwarding (guess can't do that)then I could do something like *.sudodomain.com = 10.10.1.1, 10.10.1.254 to make it a cleaner list.

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies folks.

Comment

glacieredlightning, did you read Akila post? http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?p=132836

It has your answer. You don't need the wildcard but it will forward for the domain you specify and all subdomains.

Here's an excerpt from MS's KB and it tells you how it determines what to forward.
                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304491
                  When a Windows Server 2003-based DNS server that is configured to use conditional forwarding receives a query for a domain name, it compares that domain name with its list of domain name conditions and uses the longest domain name condition that corresponds to the domain name in the query. For example, a DNS server is configured to forward queries to the 10.10.10.1 IP address when the domain name in the query is microsoft.com, and to forward queries to the 10.10.10.100 IP address when the domain name in the query is sales.microsoft.com. When the DNS server receives a query for uk.sales.microsoft.com, it compares that domain name with both microsoft.com and sales.microsoft.com. Both microsoft.com and sales.microsoft.com are contained in the query, but sales.microsoft.com is longer and the query is forwarded to the 10.10.10.100 IP address, which is associated with sales.microsoft.com.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                  X