Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD - Move users to NEW domain?

Hi guys,

Let me explain my setup first, I have a W2K3 domain controller and I am replacing this with a W2K8 server soon.

My problem is this, I took over the administration of this server at my workplace and it's only a local domain.

However when the domain was created the name was set as mydomain.co.uk, now this is causing all sorts of problems with the network as even though DNS is pointing to the server, It is pointing to the internet.

I will be creating the new domain which I will call mydomain.local (I have been advised this is what to do for a local domain.) What I want to do is move users and containers to the new domain and recreate everything else, I dont want any traces of the old domain on the new one which is why I want to copy only the users and containers they are located in.

How would I go about this transfer?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by andyfitz; 10th November 2008, 12:43.

Re: AD - Move users to NEW domain?

I would change the name on this forum, a generic one is just as good as the original one and is less risky.

What problems are you having with the internal name being the same as the external. Many people have networks setup this way and there are benefits and pitfalls if you go either way. The common one for your situation is accessing the website for your domain.

In addition, it is correct for your clients and server to look at the server for DNS and then this forwards out to the internet.

If you really want to move to a new domain then have a look at ADMT.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

A problem is for example I cannot access workstation default dollar shares because the machines are looking on the internet for them.

For example machine1.mydomain.co.uk the machine is apparently located on the internet, my domain only needs internal access so I have been told it should be machine1.mydomain.local

Another problem is with polices and scripts running correctly and slowly, and I have been told this is all down to incorrect naming of the domain.

In addition, it is correct for your clients and server to look at the server for DNS and then this forwards out to the internet.
      I understand this, but if there's nothing for it to see on the internet then thats a problem right? It seems my local DNS server is not working as it should and just looking for mydomain.co.uk which does not exist.
      Last edited by andyfitz; 10th November 2008, 12:46.

Comment

Sounds like the DNS for your domani is up the spout. If your DNS is healthy, then you should be able to access internal resources with no problem, even if your domain name is in use on the internet. The difficulty comes when you try to access external resources with the same domain name.

What forward and reverse lookup zones do you have configured in DNS?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Well looking in DNS the following has been created:

under forward lookup zones I have mydomain.co.uk

under reverse lookup zones I have my IP range xxx.xx.xxx.x Subnet

also if I run CMD and try to ping a workstation via it's name station1 it picks up the full DNS name station1.mydomain.co.uk and the correct IP (have checked this in DHCP) and then the request times out.

Also if I ping the IP the request times out.

Comment

Check the firewall on your workstations to see if it's configured to drop ICMP traffic. The main thing though is that it's the correct IP address.

Also check the firewalls to see if the File and Printer Sharing exception is allowed (assuming you use Windows Firewall) - if not you won't be able to access any shares on the workstations.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ok I can now access the workstations correctly, file and print sharing was the problem.

Now another issue I am having is sometimes users will log on and there network drives, my documents redirects and printers are missing.

If they log off and back on again they are mapped correctly.

Is this likely to be DNS related or not?

I am writing a logon script to map drives ECT as it's currently a batch file, this may have something to do with it however the my documents redirect is in policy so I cannot see the batch file being the problem, I dont really want to force a GP update on the login but will if this would solve the problems.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I am fairly competent with AD but when someone who supposedly knows more than you tells you that you have a problem you tend to believe it, this is why I am picking brains on here as it seems that the domain name is not the source of my problems.

Comment

Do you see any errors in the event logs? Are printer shares set with a script or are the printers published in the directory? If you run the batch file to map drives manually, does it work ok?
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                X