Clear All

• Global Catalog Server

Hi there!!

Ihave setup as follows.
    Domain: mydomain.com(has two sites)
    Site A:
    First Domain Controller
    Site B:
    Second Domain Controller designated as Global Catalog Server.

I would like To add redundancy to Active Directory services in Site A. Should this server also designated as Global Catalog server?

Thanx in Advance...

Re: Global Catalog Server

Global Catalog stores information about every object in the forrest. So If you have multiple domains in forrest, trusted and trusting domains and you want that make it falut tollerant for your site then you do it.
    One note, DC holding GC must not hold infrastructure master FSMO role
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248047

Comment

Just to add to alien_ri's comments, In a single domain though it isn't a problem though.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

i think i must give some more details about my setup.

Single forest domain
        Two Sites with different subnets.
        Site A;
        First Domain Controller with all FSMO roles and designated as Global Catalog
        DNS with Active Directory integrated.
        Site B:
        Second Domain Controller with Global Catalog

Site replication takes place as per Default.

As i'm fear of First Domain Controller, i would like to add one more server in site A, I mean third domain controller(with DNS). Should i make this server as Global Catalog? Otherwise advice me in best way as i'm also having Exchange 2007 in my Setup(Exchange Machines are located in Site A).

Next Question is in case of failure of First Domain Controller how i should transfer the FSMO roles to Third Domain Controller which is located in same Site A.

Comment

Originally posted by alien_ri View Post
          One note, DC holding GC must not hold infrastructure master FSMO role
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248047
          in his case it is fine and not relevant since he is in a one Domain configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by khantmk View Post
            i think i must give some more details about my setup.

Single forest domain
            Two Sites with different subnets.
            Site A;
            First Domain Controller with all FSMO roles and designated as Global Catalog
            Site B:
            Second Domain Controller with Global Catalog

Site replication takes place as per Default.

As i'm fear of First Domain Controller, i would like to add one more server in site A, I mean third domain controller(with DNS). Should i make this server as Global Catalog? Otherwise advice me in best way as i'm also having Exchange 2007 in my Setup(Exchange Machines are located in Site A).

Next Question is in case of failure of First Domain Controller how i should transfer the FSMO roles to Third Domain Controller which is located in same Site A.
            as far as GC on the extra DC you want to place, it is recommended adding that as well as a GC unless you got a good reason why not to.

as for FSMO roles in case of a DC failure.
            it is highly recommended to have a good backup of that specific DC that holds the Roles and if such DC fails you better restore it back.
            there is a possibility to force move the roles to a different DC (otherwise knows as Seize Roles) , but that should be your last plan of action.
            there are some roles that could easily be seized without a problem e.g. PDC Emulator, but some others should never be seized unless really needed.

Comment

Thanx Akila

***as far as GC on the extra DC you want to place, it is recommended adding that as well as a GC unless you got a good reason why not to.****

is it not going beneficial of having GC on extra DC in case of failure of First DC. or Just enough of having extra DC without GC?

Comment

that is what I said.
                it is recommended adding the extra as a GC.

Comment

Working...
                X