stop AD services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stop AD services

I have requirement where i need to shutdown only AD services and all other services running like DHCP,DNS, etc. Is there any way i can stop only AD services temporarily for a while.

Re: stop AD services

You can stop various services within services.msc, I'm not sure if this will do exactly what you want though.

Why would you want to do this?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

To stop AD but keep windows running then boot the machine in AD Restore mode. You would do well to explain a little more about your requirements.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

You can stop the Active Directory services without rebooting in Directory restore mode only on Windows 2008. In that case you stop it like any other service.
        VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

thanks for response.
          I would want to ensure the file service, DNS,DHCP & print service are not affected if I'm booted in AD restore mode.

1) Will DNS function in AD restore mode, its an AD integrated DNS.
          2) Will DHCP lease the IPs to the client.
          3) Will File server ACL function during the AD in restore mode.

Well i would want to keep my AD in restore mode for atleast 24 hrs. pls let me know your views

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          To stop AD but keep windows running then boot the machine in AD Restore mode. You would do well to explain a little more about your requirements.

Comment

In your first post you suggested that you wanted to stop the DNS and DHCP services.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I'm rasing the functional level from mixed to native and i donot want the changes to reflect to reflect on other DC. Therefore i would want to keep other AD services down for a while till no issues reported and ensure the DNS,DHCP service running on this server continues to work during the AD service down.

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              You can stop various services within services.msc, I'm not sure if this will do exactly what you want though.

Why would you want to do this?

Comment

You can use repadmin to stop replication on a host.
                Have a look at the bottom of this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc811549.aspx
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yes, if your issue is replication, there is no need to boot in DS Restore mode. Also, DNS with the AD services stopped if it is AD integrated might just not be a good idea!

How many domain controllers do you have?
                  VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Working...
                  X