Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trust not fully working?

Scenario:
    Two Server 2003 domains in the same physical building, no firewall between them.
    Two-way trust in place between them.

I think this is possible, not sure. I have Spiceworks on Domain A w/ LDAP authentication against the same domain. I'd like to be able to log into it with a login from Domain B. Now, if a DC on Domain A gets an authentication request for a user from Domain B (clarified with a FQDN in the request), should it contact Domain B automatically and authenticate it, or is this not possible?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Trust not fully working?

I'm not an expert in trusts but it seems to me that you'd like to impersonate a domainA user with a domainB user account, which is how I think a trust does not work. domainA will trust users from domainB but it will not impersonate users from domainB and vice versa. When you access a resource in domainA with a user from domainB it is the domainB user who is accessing the resource because domainA trusts domainB, not a domainA user on behalf of the domainB user. Also, the application doesn't know who domainb\user is, it only knows who domainA\user is. Does this make sense?

Comment

Not trying to impersonate anything. Just trying to see if it's possible to enter Domain B credentials within an LDAP application on Domain A, and have Domain A confirm them against Domain B's DC via the trust.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

But again, the trust works for accessing resources, not applications. Spiceworks doesn't know who domainB\user is.

Comment

Ignore Spiceworks for now. This is really just about LDAP access. In a trust, can Domain A verify authentication information from Domain B if asked to? From what I've researched, it should do this, but for whatever reason it's not.
          Last edited by Wired; 30th October 2008, 14:23.

Comment

What rights have you assigned to the user in domain B on Domain A?
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Wasn't aware you could do that in AD. Just as a reminder, I'm not talking about sharing a file / folder across domains.

The more I read about this, the more it seems that the domains have to be in the same forest, however my research hasn't been conclusively proven yet.

Comment

I realise you aren't talking about file/folders but I think if a user in Domain B contacts Domain A to do some work then he would need rights assigned to Domain A resource. Domain A will contact Domain B to ensure correct privileges.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

I think this is where I'm limited by not having both domains in the same forest. When I go to the OU for Domain A's Admin SG (just as an example) and attempt to add a new User to it from Domain B, I have no way to change the Location to Domain B.

However, it seems the trust is working how it should be, as whenever I remote into a DC on either domain, I can select the domain I want to use to authenticate to.

Comment

To what are you trying to add them?
                    Group?
                    What kind of group?

Comment

Does a universal group show you a difference?
                      cheers
                      Andy

Comment

Working...
                      X