Server 2003 Active Directory-integrated DNS question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 Active Directory-integrated DNS question

We have an existing DC/DNS/DHCP windows server 2000 environment which I added a Server 2003 DC/File Server/Printer to help with the load and also we were running out of space on our original DC. We are still have some storage issues on our original DC and it seems to be having some issues that might make it neccessary to remove the server. I wanted to at least setup our new 2003 DC with DNS and DHCP capabilities incase our older DC dies. My main concern is to add DNS to the new DC, I saw a KB on Active Directory-integrated and thought this might be my best recourse. It shows the steps to change the properties from Primary to Integrated and wanted to make sure that this would be a safe process.

It just seems that I might be missing something and wanted to verify before I follow the simple steps:
    1. In DNS Manager, expand the DNS Server object.
    2. Expand the Forward Lookup Zones folder.
    3. Right-click the zone you created, and then click Properties.
    4. On the General tab, the Zone Type value is set to Primary. Click Change to change the zone type.
    5. In the Change Zone Type dialog box, click DS Integrated Primary, and then click OK.
    6. The DNS server writes the zone database into Active Directory.
    7. Right-click the zone named ".", and then click Properties.
    8. On the General tab, the Zone Type value is set to Primary. Click Change to change the zone type.
    9. In the Change Zone Type dialog box, DS Integrated Primary, and then click OK.

Thanks for the help, please let me know if more information is needed.

Re: Server 2003 Active Directory-integrated DNS question

you are missing something.
    make sure that when you make it AD integrated , you select the Option "all domain controllers in the domain" and not the option of "al DNS servers in the domain" or it would not replicate either Direction with your Windows 2000 Domain controller.

On a domain controller that hosts a DNS server in a particular domain, click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click DNS to open the DNS Manager.

Right-click the DNS zone that uses the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the Active Directory domain, and then click Properties.

Click the Change button next to Replication: All domain controllers in this domain.
    Do not change it to either "To all DNS servers in this domain:<domain_name>"
    or "To all DNS servers in this Forest"
    Last edited by Akila; 28th October 2008, 21:17.

Comment

Thanks, I'll be adding this weekend. I'll make sure to report back.

Cheers

Comment

OK, I updated the system to Integrated. But now how can I verify that both my DC's will be working as a DNS servers? I'm sorry for the basic question, but I rebooted my old DNS server and I could not connect to anything until the server came backup. Not sure if this process is suppose to take awhile or I need to do anything else.

So just to cover, my existing 2000 Server was our only DNS and I added a 2003 Server last year strictly as a DC/File server, now I wanted to add DNS to our 2003 server. I read that setting up AD Integrated was the correct solution. Do I need to install the DNS service on the 2003 server?

Comment

If you want the 2003 server to be a DNS server as well your should Install the DNS on it.
          you better make sure it is a Domain controller as well (to be able to replicate the DNS records with each other).

as far as know if your DNS is up to date, check the SOA record on all DCs and see if the number is more or less the same (100 - 200 +-).

Comment

Working...
          X