Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT4 to AD2003 Migration Fallback Procedure

Hello all

I have a questions about NT4 to AD2003 fallback plan, want to see any one of you can give me some advice.

I have a NT4 and Exchange 5.5 environment and I am going to perform a in-place upgrade to AD2003 and keep Exchange 5.5 unchange . The Exchange 5.5 is install in the PDC, so I install a new BDC and promote it to PDC and then perform the OS and AD upgrade, and then I install two more new W2K3 DC and then decommission the first DC upgraded from NT4 PDC. Then the client can login to the AD.

After the test of the migration, I perfrom a fallback test, and the procedure I planned is simple, just disconnect all AD DC and the promote the remaining NT4 BDC back to PDC. And the I try to login to the W2K Pro and XP client but they are fail to login because the domain name in client side changed to FQDN format from Netbios domain name after they connected the AD2003 DC after migration. Then I change it to workgroup PC and rejoin the NT4 domain, the client can login and access their exchange mailbox successfully.

So, may I know anyone encounter this? Any method to perform the fallback without any change in the workstation side? Or any registry key I can add to prevent the client machine to change the domain name to FQDN format? Or any fallback recommendation?

Many thanks

Re: NT4 to AD2003 Migration Fallback Procedure

every migration objects are easily fall back up to the point where you Security Translate the Server/Workstation, otherwise knows as Computer migration.
    The Security translation is an Agent that switches the machine to the new Domain and can't be roll back automatically using the conventional migration tool supplied by Microsoft, but only using the method that you just mentioned.
    and that Method also has it's drawbacks , that clients might lose their Profile or in other words would not be using their Profile but creating a new Profile.
    If you really want a tool that has the Option of roll back after Computer migration, you should look into Quest Software Migration tool: "Domain Migration Wizard"
    http://www.quest.com/domain-migration-wizard/
    that tool supports Computer/Server roll back.
    as for your question regarding Changing the Domain name to the new domain, this is part of the Migration and has to be done, otherwise computers would not be able to log on to their new domain.
    Last edited by Akila; 26th October 2008, 15:46.

Comment

Re: NT4 to AD2003 Migration Fallback Procedure

Originally posted by alextsa View Post
      Hello all

I have a questions about NT4 to AD2003 fallback plan, want to see any one of you can give me some advice.

So, may I know anyone encounter this? Any method to perform the fallback without any change in the workstation side? Or any registry key I can add to prevent the client machine to change the domain name to FQDN format? Or any fallback recommendation?

Many thanks
      When you perform an upgrade from NT4 domain to Win 2K3 AD, 2000 or XP workstations will not revert back to an NT4 domain. You can get past this with a registry fix, go to this Microsoft site for full details :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298713

When doing the upgrade, are you keeping the same Netbios name? If so, the roll back should work fine. For example our domain was called companyname, on doing the upgrade, we named the new AD companyname.net - it's a simple example, but the netbios name did not change, so that worked fine for rollback purposes.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
      X