• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redirecting/Restricting Desktop

I'm trying to do the following options on the Desktop:

1. Create standard wallpaper
    2. Create standard screensaver
    3. Restrict users from making any changes to the above.

Is there a way to do all this through GPs?

I've tried the following:

1.Creating a standard NTUSER.DAT file, making it READ ONLY and copying it to the Default User profile.

2. Creating a standard NTUSER.DAT, renaming it to NTUSER.MAN and copying it to the Default User profile.

Both of the above failed to have any impact.

Restrict users to make changes: Group Policy
    Profile settings: I would do in the profile

Make a profile. Right click my computer and go to properties. Advanced > User profile settings. Select you profile and click copy to. Change the Permitted to use to Everyone. Copy to a network location (in a folder of its own). Rename NTUSER.DAT to NTUSER.MAN and change the profiles folder permissions to read only for that user. Than in Active Directory users and computers, find your user and change the profile location to the place where you put the profile (makjing sure they can access it of course!)

Im pretty sure thats our process for doing this. Beware that this profile is now completley READ ONLY. Favorites wont save, nor will cookies, and even if users do make changes, they dont stay when they log off.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thx Tony.

Do you know if there's a way to prevent users from creating shorcuts on the desktop, or better still preventing the the right-click mouse button menu from coming up?

Comment

Yes i think group policy will stop right click on the desktop. We redirect the desktop for all users to a shared folder with all the desktop icons on. And that is read only.
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Found it.

Thx.

Comment

Working...
          X