X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renaming Security Groups

Hi all,

Having a strange problem here...

We have been renaming some of our security groups on active directory as part of a wider restructure on one of out data drives.

For some reason even though the renaming and replication of permissions are fine... the names of the security groups in Windows (ie, on the security tab of a folder) is still showing the OLD name of the security group.

Even after waiting an hour for replication, this is still showing as the old names.

Is there anything i can do to force these changes to be picked up in windows?

Cheers in advance.

Re: Renaming Security Groups

Hi,

How are you renaming these objects? If you are renaming them via their properties tab, then I had the same problem.
    What I found it worked fine though, is If I used the Rename function on the Object (Rclick ->Rename). Not sure why it does that, might be two different attributes??

Cheers
    Last edited by L4ndy; 24th October 2008, 15:49.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by rsnooks View Post
      Hi all,

Having a strange problem here...

We have been renaming some of our security groups on active directory as part of a wider restructure on one of out data drives.

For some reason even though the renaming and replication of permissions are fine... the names of the security groups in Windows (ie, on the security tab of a folder) is still showing the OLD name of the security group.

Even after waiting an hour for replication, this is still showing as the old names.

Is there anything i can do to force these changes to be picked up in windows?

Cheers in advance.
      It's just one of them things. Like Landy says, use the "Rename" function on the context menu of the object in Active Directory Users and Computers... It renames ALL the name attributes associated with the object.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

As already mentioned, it could be that you was renaming only the CN/displayName/sAMAccountName attribute.

Also check that the server in question does not have some setting using hard-coded previous name of a group (like restricted groups feature in GPO)
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I had renamed it the correct way (so it also renames the pre-windows 2000 group name also).

Strangely enough, it looks like its working now.

Just seems to have taken 3 days to replicate.

Comment

Working...
          X