Migrating from NT4 to Windows 2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating from NT4 to Windows 2000

I am migrating my domain to Windows 2000. We are doing this with a new domain and ADMT. I just have one question about the DHCP server. Which machine should I leave the DHCP server running on during the migration? How does this effect the DNS.

Thanks.

Migrating to W2000? Are you sure you want to do that? W2000 will be on extended support shortly. I'd pick W2003 unless I had a very good reason not to.

> Which machine should I leave the DHCP server running on during the migration?

Doesn't matter much. If you run it on a W200x machine you should authorize the DHCP server in Active Directory after the upgrade.

> How does this effect the DNS.

That depends. You should make sure that all domain members can find the Active Directory DNS. One of the things you need to change is the DHCP scope that sets the DNS server.

Comment

I know going to 2000 isn't necisarilly the best idea. I however am doing it for 2 reasons.

1: We have a whole bunch of servers running 2000 which might get upgraded one day but I see no reason to do so right now. Ultimately I want to pass the active directory on to them.

2: Even before I pass the AD on to those machines (and pull out the server I am now putting in), I want them to be backup AD machines.

3: The machine that will be doing this (for now) is an older machine and I am not convinced it can run Windows2003 so easily.

Not to mention of course I like the dumbed down security in Winoows 2000... I hate Windows 20003 password requirements

Comment

ok, guess you know what you're doing

Did the DNS/DHCP check out?

Comment

Yup everything check out. I am working on the machine right now. In the end I went Server 2003. My 2000 CD didn't want to run (was scratched with no back up) (I always use backup CDs myself but my predicessor)... So I figured the heck with it

Comment

Working...
          X