Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Issues (Where did I go wrong)

Hi everyone,

I am new to server administration and I have an issue that is puzzling my head. After deploying a new IPCOP box the company can no longer browser their website (small business by the way).

When configuring the IPCOP box I used the same AD name as for it's hostname COMPANY.ORG and now the company cannot access it’s internet website which is host by another party. This was not a problem before configuring the new IPCOP box (upgrading from old one).

using TRACERT or PING for the website www.company.org says it cannot resolved. But If I removed the “www” and use company.org it resolves to the IPCOP box’s IP address.

Hope I am being clear on explaining my problem and thank you all in advance.
    CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, MS Windows 2000, MS Windows XP

Pursuing: CompTIA Security+, Server 2003

Re: DNS Issues (Where did I go wrong)

In your forward lookup zone for company.org create a host record.
    in the top Name (uses parent domain name if blank) type www
    and put the ip address which hosts the external site,
    check that in the FQDN section it says www.company.org
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Thanks so much for the help I was able to add the host record and point www.company.org to the proper site.

Is this a stardard procedure to follow when configuring an Active Directory network with the same name as the company's website?

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
      In your forward lookup zone for company.org create a host record.
      in the top Name (uses parent domain name if blank) type www
      and put the ip address which hosts the external site,
      check that in the FQDN section it says www.company.org

Comment

This is a standard method. usually you would enter a host record (ANAME) for your web server, and then separate canonical records (CNAME) for the various aliases such as WWW, FTP, MAIL,
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
          This is a standard method. usually you would enter a host record (ANAME) for your web server, and then separate canonical records (CNAME) for the various aliases such as WWW, FTP, MAIL,
          Thanks great information!

Comment

Working...
          X