Redirecting My Documents folder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redirecting My Documents folder

I'm trying to redirect My Documents. As the test users already have home drives set up, my plan is to redirect the My Documents folder to the users home drive, using the GPO folder redirection.

The test users can access their home drives, but the policy fails to redirect the My Documents folder to the home drives.

It's server 2003 & XP client.

Any ideas?

Two things

- it takes multiple logons for this to work
    - you must redirect to a UNC path, not a driveletter.

Does this help? If not, can you post relevant event log messages?

Comment

I'm redirecting to a UNC path. I read the Event Viewer after I posted this, and I'm sure it said something about not being to write to the drive in question....I'll know for sure when I go back in to work on Monday.

Comment

Ok, the event viewer says access is denied. I checked out the User's home drive, which is where I'm trying to redirect the My Documents folder to, and the user has full permission on that folder.

However, if I try to create a file in that folder, while logged on as the user, it says access denied!!! I checked again and under the General tab for the folder, there is a slightly greyed out tick in the Read Only box. Changed the Share permissions, from Read Only, to Full Access, then restricted it via NTFS permissions.

Working now.

Thx

Comment

I assume this is under Windows Server 2003... beware all shares when created are read only... always worth checking first in this type of situation.
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I assume this is under Windows Server 2003... beware all shares when created are read only... always worth checking first in this type of situation.
            Yeah. Bit nasty of MS to do that...

Comment

Are you tryng to set-up a locked down environment for an educational environment?
              Server 2000 MCP
              Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Are you tryng to set-up a locked down environment for an educational environment?
                Data processing would describe it better.

Comment

Ah right. I work for a college and thought i may be able to help.
                  Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Lockdown

Tonyyeb

I have done this with 2000 - redirected My Documents and locked down desktops. If you need some help with this, what would be best to contact you to help you out. It is not that hard..

Thanks

Wtdrisco

Comment

Thanks for the offer but i've been doing this for over 4 years now and have it pretty much sorted now, but thanks anyway.
                      Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                      X