Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 2003 slow at Applying computer setttings...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 slow at Applying computer setttings...

Hi friends,

last month i transfered my domain controller to a new hardware, demoted and pulled out old DC, every thing is working fine except delay at starting up. its taking now 10- 15 minutes.

Once system booted every thing works fine, there is no error in event viewer except 4015 and 4004 ocassional (when servers restarted at week end)

i have two DCs; first on new hardware is DC1 and a DC2 with both are AD integrated DNS, GC, DHCP for redundancy.

all servers are pointing to the primary dns that is ON DC1 including aditional DC. For clients DNS info. is distributed via dhcp primary DC1 and sec DC2

i doubled checked DNS looking and working fine... DCDiag test is also clean

i am thinking about removing and re-installing dns on my DC1 without restarting any server, is it seems ok or i got my domain crashed !!!

Please help how can i solve this slow processing problem at startup.

Re: Windows 2003 slow at Applying computer setttings...

what exactly is the problem your facing you want to do all this action for?
    is it the Event 4015 and 4004 you are concerned?
    is it only on DC1? (the events)?

Comment

the problem is the slow processing at the time of server boot 10 to 15 min.
      may be these event ids may shed some light on this issue
      no its on both dc1 and dc2
      thanks

Comment

long boot time is usually derives from unable to contact the DNS server.
        event 4015 and 4004 are general DNS errors that claims there is something wrong.
        many times it is caused due to DNS replication that is stuck.
        this you could easily check with ADSIEDIT under "Domain ->System ->MicrosoftDNS" , check and see if there are "In Progress..." looks like folders.
        the same should be checked in the DomainDNSZones and ForestDNSZones partition.
        you could connect to those in ADSIEDIT file ->connect - dc=forestdnszones,dc=domain,dc=com and to Domain dns Zones , dc=domaindnszones,dc=domain,dc=com
        if there are , then just delete those "In Progress..." folders.

do those errors appear only during boot time of the DC or also during the run time of the DC?
        Last edited by Akila; 20th October 2008, 14:32.

Comment

Does the server have two network cards?

Comment

Alika,

yes there are "In Progress.." in "DC=ForestDNSZones" under "CN=Microsoft DNS" present but not in "DC=DomainDNSZones" and "CN=Micrsoft DNS" and there are many (all clients machine names) in under "in progress..."
            I have deleted but i dont know should i select "update schema now" option in action menu or not or its enough ? snap shot attached.

after deletion i wait for 15 minutes it does not appeared again till writing..

regarding 4004/4015 errors, these appeard random as follows:
            4004 : 18,16,7 oct 2008 (logged three times each day mentioned here)
            4015 : 20,18,16,14,7,6 oct 2008 & 24,18,15 sep 2008.

joeqwerty: yes but one is disabled..
            Attached Files

Comment

that is fine , you don't have it in the domain data partition (system ->MicrosoftDns), it just shows you have your DNS placed in the DNS Application partition.
              once you deleted those InProgress... folders restarted th4e DNS services on both DCs and keep an eye on the events and check if there are more InProgress that don't disapear after few min'.
              as fro your question , Update Schema has nothing to do with it , then just leave it alone.

Comment

Akila,
                Thanks for responding ...

At night server was restarted by UPS around 1:20am but i was not there to see that, today morning i checked event logs and for those "In Progress..." but didn't found any abnormal event or those entries appeared again... but cant say how much time it took at startup.

soon i got chance to shutdown my whole network then i will update you about the progress till that we have to wait.
                (because i other DC (dc2) is online it will never take long time but just boot properly)

thanks see u soon

Comment

There is a lot of stuff on google about apc software causing the applying computer settings long waiting times. Do u use that software?
                  Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                  I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                  MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

hi,

update: I managed to restart my domain controller only.. but surprised its taking same time at "preparing network conn. " and "applying computer settings".

But before deletion those "in progress..." entries "in progress..." i think if i restart just my domain controller it does not take such long time.... ???

any thing else Alika! that i have to do .... i f delete and re-create zone on dc1 after removing dns service from dc2 so i have only one dns on dc1, should it help or not.

uk_netowrk: i am not using any apc software, neither any drive(s) mapped nor scheduled tasks

Comment

the InProgress.. deletion was meant to solve the event 4015 & 4004 , not the slow boot time.
                      regarding the slow boot time , I don't have any idea at this point.

Comment

Alika Thanks for doing favour... any one can help me in this regard...
                        its now annoying to wait at least 15 minutes at preparing and applying settings...

waiting for replies...

Comment

after posting above i checked event viewer and found a 4105 error in 24/10/08 on DC1

"The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error."

Comment

Working...
                          X