X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Domain Controller Question

Here is my scenario:

We have three sites, miles away apart.

The primary domain controller is located at site 1.
    IP: 192.168.0.2
    SM: 255.255.255.0
    GW: 192.168.0.6
    DNS: 192.168.0.2

We are planning to put Additional Domain Controllers on the 2 sites.

ADC 1 - Remote Site connected via VPN
    ====
    IP: 192.168.8.1
    GW: 192.168.8.250

ADC 2 - Remote Site connected via VPN
    ====
    IP: 192.168.20.2
    GW: 192.168.20.6

Now my question is, do I have to change the DNS of the ADC's to point to their own after they successfully replicate to the PDC?

Re: Additional Domain Controller Question

How good are the links?
    There are many posts in these forums regarding setup, I would recommend having a browse through.

Generally, if the links are good/ok, I would recommend having each remote site setup with the primary site as its primary DNS and itself as secondary. The primary site would have one of the other sites as primary.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Links are somewhat OK. Hmmm. Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

If the links aren't so good then look at:
        (There are many links, this was the first)
        http://www.esxinc.com/ESX/Windows-Ac...DNS.asp?SnID=2

Basically netlogon starts before DNS and therefore causes issues. By having other DCs as primary you register against them instead. If your links aren't good that can cause problems too so things like that script can help.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks! The information in that link is what I need to know. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

The DNS in ADC's are not replicating.

Should I install the DNS prior to promote the server as additional domain controller?

Comment

Originally posted by vlabayog View Post
              The DNS in ADC's are not replicating.

Should I install the DNS prior to promote the server as additional domain controller?
              doesn't make a difference when you Install the DNS server Service.
              If you install the DNS b4 promoting the machine to a DC it would receive and attach itself to the DNS NC and tyou would see the zones after the promotion.
              if you install a DNS server Service after you promoted the Machine to a DC, it would add that DC to the DNS NC and start replicating that partition as well.
              as a golden rule:
              When we add the DNS server service to a DC this DC is automatically added to the replica members of the dns partition but uninstalling the DNS Server service doesn’t remove it from the replica members of the partition in question.

what you should make sure is that when you promote the machine to a DC, the DNS TCP/IP settings on the Machine would point to a valid and working DNS (not to point to itself untill you are done promoting the machine).

Comment

Originally posted by Akila View Post
                doesn't make a difference when you Install the DNS server Service.
                If you install the DNS b4 promoting the machine to a DC it would receive and attach itself to the DNS NC and tyou would see the zones after the promotion.
                if you install a DNS server Service after you promoted the Machine to a DC, it would add that DC to the DNS NC and start replicating that partition as well.
                as a golden rule:
                When we add the DNS server service to a DC this DC is automatically added to the replica members of the dns partition but uninstalling the DNS Server service doesn’t remove it from the replica members of the partition in question.

what you should make sure is that when you promote the machine to a DC, the DNS TCP/IP settings on the Machine would point to a valid and working DNS (not to point to itself untill you are done promoting the machine).
                Thanks for the information. It is replicating now. Apparently, I was just impatient for the DNS replication to take place.

Thanks again and to AndyJG247.

Comment

Working...
                X