Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADMT - Problem with Translating user profiles and computers

Hi All,

Just in the testing phase of migrating from 2000 - 2008 at the moment. I've been following the ADMT V31 Guide from Microsoft and havent been having any problems until now.

When I run the Security Translation, I select a computer from the source domain, translate user profiles, Replace, but when it runs I receive an error - "Unable to determine path for ADMIN share on the machine 'computer.domain.com' rc=2147024891"

Trusts are set up and I have full control over both domains and am using the administrator account, which each is in the other domains administrators group.

If I try and connect up to the workstation in the Source domain from the Target domain controller I cannot with-out using the source domains credentials, so it looks as though it maybe a permisions thing but I can't see where to fix it. Anyone ran into this problem before?

Thanks for any help

Re: ADMT - Problem with Translating user profiles and computers

OK, Fixed one of my problems, The trust wasn't working correctly, I added a secondary dns zone for my target domain on the source which fixed that.

Still receiving an error in ADMT though, now its "You don't have administrator privilege on the machine computer.domain.com"

If I look at the workstation computer it has SOURCE DOMAIN\Domain Admins in the Administrators group, but how do I get the Administrator from the Target Domain access to the computers in the Source domain?

This seems pretty simple, don't know why its bothering me, appriciate any help

Thanks

Comment

Your migrating all user data etc to this new server? Why can't you just add the Windows 2008 to the existing domain then demote the old server or are you actually needing to create a whole new domain?
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Use my Procedure I wrote for preparing everything for Migration
        http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=26101
        even though it was written fro Win2003 AD , it is the same for Win2008.
        after you follow it I am almost sure you would have no problems.
        and BTW - on machines you want to Migrate make sure the ADMIN$ share is in place and there is no Firewall and no Hibernation configured.
        Last edited by Akila; 1st October 2008, 18:38.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.

Our current setup is pretty messy so thats why I'm starting a new domain.

Akila, Thanks for the guide I followed it and everything seems to be right but still get the error. Admin$ share is in place and there is no fiirewall.

So I demoted the 2008 domain to start a fresh, went through it again following your guide and now recieving the error: "Unable to determine path for ADMIN share on the machine" again. The only difference I have from the guide is ADMT is installed on the Target domain controller not a member server but that shouldn't matter should it?

Just tried it again, but I put the target\administrator in the workstations administrators group and it worked, shouldn't have to do this though right?

But now when I try and migrate the computers it completes with an error -

"Unable to retrieve the DNS hostname for the migrated computer 'computer.com.au' The ADSI property cannot be found in the property cache"

I think theres something screwy with DNS but cant see it, nslookup works fine from both domains resolving eachother and the workstation, I can also ping by name. I'll keep lugging away at it, if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Thanks

Comment

try 3 thing.
            1) add on the ADMT server (in your case the DC) the WINS IP in the TCPIP settings of both domain.

2)add in the ADMT server in the TCPIP -> DNS -> search order list, both domain names (DNS name).

3) for testing add on the Host file of the ADMT server the ip of the machine you trying to Migrate
            e.g
            192.168.1.100 computer
            192.168.1.100 computer.sourcedomain.com

now as far as permissions, you must be a member of the Administrator group of the machine you want to Migrate,
            this could be done either by adding target\Domain admins to the administrators group of the machine or by using on both sides a user that is a member of the Domain Admins of both domains (target\user for log on and running ADMT, source\user whne prompt to enter the Source user credentials during the machine migration wizard).
            Last edited by Akila; 2nd October 2008, 10:30.

Comment

OK, I think I solved it, This is still on our test network it should be the same as our production network, and it was apart from one thing. I didn't have a reverse lookup zone setup. After setting that up everything ran smoothly. Guess it would have just worked in production.

Thanks for the help Akila, another question though for you or anyone else that would like to add, when doing the computer account translation it doesn't prompt for a source username and password as it does in the account translation, this is why I had to add the targets administrator in the local workstations administrators group. So How do you get the target domains administrator (or migration user) into the sources domain admins group so they have access, being you can't put external domain users into global groups, can't put local groups into global groups and all that jazz.

Thanks

Comment

you can't.

BTW - with what User are you loging in to the ADMT Server, a target domain user or a source Domain user?

Comment

Originally posted by Akila View Post
                  you can't.

BTW - with what User are you loging in to the ADMT Server, a target domain user or a source Domain user?

Logging onto the ADMT Server as the target\administrator.

Comment

Originally posted by Rounds04 View Post
                    Still receiving an error in ADMT though, now its "You don't have administrator privilege on the machine computer.domain.com"

If I look at the workstation computer it has SOURCE DOMAIN\Domain Admins in the Administrators group, but how do I get the Administrator from the Target Domain access to the computers in the Source domain?
                    You can't add account not belonging to domainX to "domainX\Domain Admins" as Domain Admins is of "global security group" type.
                    You might get around this by leveraging restricted groups feature of GPO in the source domain and make the account you are using in ADMT is a member of local Administrators group on the workstations to be migrated.
                    Guy Teverovsky
                    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Well Well, What a surprise!!! Guy, your back ?!
                      nice seeing you around, hope you would stick around and it won't be a one time pop in - pop out
                      Last edited by Akila; 7th October 2008, 20:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Akila View Post
                        What a surprise!!! Guy, your back !
                        nice seeing you around, hope you would stick around and it won't be a one time pop in - pop out
                        Been a bit busy lately

Btw, this is AD forum, so you should be using correct terminology:

one time pop in ==> ReplicateSingleObject
                        Guy Teverovsky
                        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt View Post
                          one time pop in ==> ReplicateSingleObject
                          I hope you wont become a Tombstone object after that ObjectReplication

Comment

Wooah, you guys are massive Windows nerds huh. Stop before you hurt somebody!!!

I'm not saying thats bad thing I love Bill Gates just as much as the next guy.

Thanks for answers, Think I'll stop procrastinating and do it now.

Comment

Working...
                            X