No announcement yet.

Can't DC Promo

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't DC Promo

Hi all, I'm new here.. I've got 2 servers here, both running windows 2000 advanced server. One is my domain controller and file server. The other is one I've put together strictly as a backup to the main DC. They are hardware-wise identical. However, I've been trying to DC Promo the backup unit.

I am using the how-to page here:
    I get all the way through the wizard and it looks as though the active Dir installation begins. Then after 3 seconfs I get a message saying:

The operation failed because:

A domain controller could not be contacted for the domain that contained an account for this computer.

Make the computer a member of a workgroup then rejoin the domain before retrying the promotion.

"The specifies domain either does not exist or could not be created."

OK.. So I went through the exercise of unjoining and re-joining to the domain.
    Still same error.

I went to the DC, and looked at the DNS service. I have forward lookup zone integrated with AD, and the DC server is listed in there with it's IP addy.

What the hell am I doing wrong? Do I need a reverse lookup zone in the DNS? I'm stumped at this point.

Re: Can't DC Promo

The primary DNS on this new server points to the local IP of your current Domain Controller then?
    Could you check this and even paste the IP settings here telling us the current DC's IP address too?
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Re: Can't DC Promo

go to the problematic Computer to "C:\windows\Debug"
      and post here the dcpromo.log file.