Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Question on Domain Name

Hello,

I would like to know about Windows Server 2003 R2 Domain Names.

I currently have a domain named TestNet.AD

I'm in the process of creating a totally new domain, but I was wondering if I could still use the domain name TestNet, but append LCL or .local to it, instead of the current .AD

What I do not know is does the name to the lefty of the . still matter or is it the name given to the right .AD or .LCL

I do not want to affect the current domain, while I'm in the process of setup and configuring the new hardware and domain, while keeping the company name in the domain name space.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mike

Re: AD Question on Domain Name

Only if you change the NetBIOS name which will default to "TestNet".

Comment

So would'nt it be best to keep both the NetBIOs name and DNS name the same.

I would then need to change the domain name to match the NetBIOs name.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Dont think AD will be too happy with two domains with the same NETBIOS name on the network. I've never tried it before. If your starting a new domain I would change it completely

Also, I've read somewhere that .local domain names can cause issues with some firewalls, you could consider using .internal as a replacement.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Since that NetBIOs name will only be used for older systems, which our network only has windows server 2003 and windows xp pro, does anything else use NetBIOs names.

Because cound'nt I used

TestNet.lcl for Domain Name

TESTNET_LCL for NetBIOs name

Comment

"_" is not recommended to be using in NetBois name.
            there is no problem having the same name left to the "."
            there are many things that relay on netbios , like Exchange uses it in some cases, when you access a Share (\\Server\share) you actually using netbios, DFS is based on netbios, and many other things.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the great information.

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X