Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error code: 0x1f....

I'm trying to run adprep /domainprep on a domain controller and I get:

Adprep encountered a Win32 error. Error code: 0x1f Error message: A device attached to the system is not functioning..

However I cannot identify any device that is not functioning nor is there anything in the event log that suggests a problem with a device, is there a way to tell adprep to ignore this error?

There is however an unknown device, but there is no way around it, and no driver for it. It is a scsi backplane device that is installed into bios. Dell says that it will show up as an unknown or other device, and there is no driver for it...

Any thoughts...

Thanks

Re: Error code: 0x1f....

Does the adprep log file show anything?
    Can you explain what you are prepping too? 2003 to 2003 R2?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

First I ran adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep on my windows server 2000 DC which is the PDC, and it completed sucessfully...

Preping for server 08

Then I ran adprep /domainprep on the backup DC which is also a windows server 2000 and this is the output of the log file:

Adprep created the log file ADPrep.log under C:\WINNT5\system32\debug\adprep\logs\2008092308393 3 directory.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\schema. ini from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch14.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch15.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch16.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch17.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch18.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch19.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch20.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch21.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch22.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch23.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch24.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch25.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch26.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch27.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch28.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch29.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\I386\sch30.l df from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT5\system32.

Adprep successfully made the LDAP connection to the local domain controller S2400.

Adprep was about to call the following LDAP API. ldap_search_s(). The base entry to start the search is (null).

LDAP API ldap_search_s() finished, return code is 0x0

Adprep successfully retrieved information from the local directory service.

Adprep successfully initialized global variables.
      [Status/Consequence]
      Adprep is continuing.

Adprep was unable to check the forest update status.
      [Status/Consequence]
      Adprep queries the directory to see if the forest has already been prepared. If the information is unavailable or unknown, Adprep proceeds without attempting this operation.
      [User Action]
      Restart Adprep and check the Adprep.log file. Verify in the log file that this forest has already been successfully prepared.

Adprep encountered a Win32 error.
      Error code: 0x1f Error message: A device attached to the system is not functioning..

Any thoguhts? Thanks again...
      Last edited by jcup; 23rd September 2008, 14:53.

Comment

What do you mean by backup domain controller and how many domains do you have in the forest?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Well, there is just one domain, two domain controllers...

So I ran adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep on the primary domain controller, but the changes did not replicate to the 2nd domain controller, and now replication is failing between the two DCs because of a "shcema mismatch". And maybe I'm wrong here, but I was thinking that if I could run adprep /domainprep on the 2nd DC that it would help, but I get the error " A device attached to the system is not functioning" which is maybe why the changes did not replicate in the first place...

I am having allot of problems with these domain controllers, maybe you can take a look at my other post...

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=27805

Thanks you for taking the time to help me out...

Comment

Ah.... more info always helps
            Schema updates are done on the schema master fsmo role holder.

Looks like you are going to have to unplug the other one and force remove it from AD but follow the advice in the other thread. I would forget this thread for the moment.
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Working...
            X