Removing Active Directory from an Exchange server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Active Directory from an Exchange server

I currently have AD and Exchange 2003 on the same server. I also have a virutal server that is a peer AD domain controller.

Is it safe to remove the domain controller role from the AD/Exchange Server and transfer the roles over to the peer AD domain controller and it not effect the exchange server?

Re: Removing Active Directory from an Exchange server

I guess you would need to introduce the new additional DC. Then look at demoting the first one.
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Basically it will break Exchange.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822179

If you install Exchange Server 2003 on a member server, do not use the Dcpromo tool to promote the server to a domain controller. Or, if you install Exchange Server 2003 on a domain controller, do not use the Dcpromo tool to demote the server to a member server. Changing the role of a server after you install Exchange Server 2003 may result in loss of some Exchange functionality and is not supported.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

So the only valid sollution is:
        1) Install a new memeber server.
        2) Install exchange on that server.
        3) Move all your mailboxes and OAB to the new server.
        4) Remove Exchange from the DC.
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931
        And after that you can finally demote that DC.
        [Powershell]
        Start-DayDream
        Set-Location Malibu Beach
        Get-Drink
        Lay-Back
        Start-Sleep
        Wake-Up!
        Resume-Service
        Write-Warning
        [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

OK, so here is what I am at. I setup a virtual test environment. In the test environment I had a server that had one server with AD/Exchange, one server with AD and one server with Exchange. Here is what I've done so far.

I removed Exchange from the AD/Exchange server. Mail is still flowing properly and I can access OWA from the second Exchange server. However if I demote the first domain controller (with all FSMO roles switched to the new DC) Exchange will not work; I am unable to open ESM.

Any reason why??????

Comment

Have you made the new DC a GC?
            Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

And have you moved all the fsmo roles before demoting?
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I'm pretty sure the dcpromo wizard transfers them automattically when demoting a DC.

Comment

Yeah well. A check might be handy
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Yes. I have moved the FSMO roles and made the new server a Global Catalog server. I am going to try to work through it again today to see if I can get it to work.

I am trying to figure out in terms of Active Directory what the problem is, but I am not sure.

I reverted to my snapshot before removing AD from the first DC and I disconnected the server from the network: with that server disconnected I am unable to access OWA on the Exchange server (however I can still ping it). Therefore it seems that the second Exchange server is somehow still connected to that first DC, even though Exchange has been removed from there.

Comment

Is the DNS on this Exchange Server configured to look at the DNS running on the new DC? Exchange will basically fail to work if it cannot find AD.

Comment

Working...
                      X