No announcement yet.

Problems joining domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems joining domain

I have a remote location that is connected to my corporate office via VPN. The connections is always alive and I can ping anything from remote location on my corporate location and other way around. However when I try to join domain it gives me an error message domain not found. I am not running a DNS server in my remote location. It's configured to automaticly obtain DNS from the firewall which gets it from the ISP. I have about 7 PC's there. I was able to join domain with 1, but the others are not working.
    Any idea where the problem is ?

P.S all pc's are XP Pro, SP2

Re: Problems joining domain

You could try the following:
    a) using the FQDN (dc.domain.local or similar) rather than the NetBIOS name
    b) adding entries to the HOSTS file to explicitly identify the DC -- use NetBIOS and FQDN entries

(moved from Misc to AD forum as most appropriate place)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Problems joining domain

In order to join a domain, the client needs to look for and find the ip address of the AD DC/DNS server. Your firewall and ISP know nothing of your internal DNS (unless you've somehow set them up to forward requests for your AD FQDN to your AD DNS server. Configure the clients at the remote location to use your AD DNS server. I can't imagine how you were able to get one joined or how things are actually working considering your current remote location DNS setup.