P2V to a domain controller?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P2V to a domain controller?

did any one ever tried to perform a P2V to a DC and it loaded up without a problem?

I tired doing so , but after the P2V the Machine booted, at the "Preparing Network" part it claimed it could not load/find the Directory Services , press OK to Reboot.

wondering if any one had a success in that matter.

Don't worry guys I am not using it for production , I am trying to make a replica of one of our DCs for a test LAB, thought P2V is easy, seems to be it is easy said then done.

Re: P2V to a domain controller?

Thats normal, the old NIC is gone and IP needs to be reset on the new virtual NIC. When the DC boots up it doesn't see itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Meekrobe View Post
      Thats normal, the old NIC is gone and IP needs to be reset on the new virtual NIC. When the DC boots up it doesn't see itself.
      That is not the problem (I also thought about it), the new NIC was configured with the IP's etc (when I booted into DSR Mode, I fixed all of that) , but still I get the same after I boot in normal mode.
      any Ideas?

Comment

Watch out for USN rollback conditions if you're P2Ving many prod DCs to a complete test network. For only 1 DC you should have no issue. I suppose that server also acts as its own DNS server?
        VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Is this the RID Master?
          Last edited by Garen; 16th September 2008, 17:56.

Comment

I've personally used VMWARE for this and never had any problems doing so. I've actually did this with 3 or 4 servers. The first thing i do before starting tho is making sure the network cable is disconnected and will never get connected again on the physical server hehe

trep

Comment

Working...
            X