X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resolve only one host from dns

Hi all,
    i'm searching for a big tip
    In my company i have an internet domain acme.com where there is some pubblic hosts configured in a public dns service
    I have the in the active directory the same domain acme.com with other private host with the internal domain (for example: www.acme.com over internet is 1.2.3.4 and over internal dns il 192.168.1.2)

I had some foreign companies that resolve only internet ips but now i need to add some hosts that they can connect over vpn and they have private ip.

My question is, it's possible to add the domain acme.com in the internal dns and:
    - if the host is in the new internal dns zone it resolve with its ip
    - if the host isn't in the zone, it try to search and resolve it on the pubblic zone

When i create the zone do i need to create a primary zone or what type?

Is it possible to make it throught Microsoft DNS, or do you now if i can make a central bind9 dns to make it?

Bye
    Last edited by theBus; 12th September 2008, 11:07.

Re: resolve only one host from dns

You need to have an "Internal" DNS Server and an "External" DNS server. Make sure that all internal clients are set to resolve DNS queries via the Internal Server - and set a forwarder on the internal server for "All other domains" to the external server. Make sure that the internal server does NOT have root hints for the internet and cannot resolve internet names without help. When an internal client tries to resolve an internet name, the internal server will refer the query to the external server which will resolve the name in the usual way. Place an "A" record on your internal server for the app's internal address - when the internal client tries to resolve the name of your app, the internal server will resolve it to its internal address. Place an "A" record for the app on your external server for the app's internet address - clients outside your internal network will resolve to that address. Remember that your external DNS will either need to be a "Live" internet DNS server or you will also need to place a record on your externally hosted internet DNS for your app so that internet clients can see it.

Microsoft reolves DNS queries in accordance with RFCs and therefore will do just as good a job as BIND.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

hi,
      under root hints of the dns server i remove all records
      under forwarders i remove all external dns host and i reboot the dns service
      but if i try a nslookup with the internal server and i write www.google.it it is able to resolve it. why?

i add in the internal dns the domain acme.com and i add the record www.acme.com with the internal ip, if i make an nslookup it return the internal ip (correct) but if i try a nslookup www1.acme.com it doesn't resolve it (it is in the external dns), so it doesn't work.

Any hints?
      Bye

Comment

IMO, the Windows DNS should be used purly for AD. Offload the external DNS to your registra.
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by theBus View Post
          hi,
          under root hints of the dns server i remove all records
          under forwarders i remove all external dns host and i reboot the dns service
          but if i try a nslookup with the internal server and i write www.google.it it is able to resolve it. why?

i add in the internal dns the domain acme.com and i add the record www.acme.com with the internal ip, if i make an nslookup it return the internal ip (correct) but if i try a nslookup www1.acme.com it doesn't resolve it (it is in the external dns), so it doesn't work.

Any hints?
          Bye
          Sorry to intrude but, "TheBus" have you ever logged back into a DNS server after deleting the root hints and rebooting? They typically show back up.
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875547/en-us

Comment

Working...
          X