No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO

I am using group policy in an organization which has more than 500 users.
    I have two questions:
    1. I have configured GPO to Prevent access to drives in MY COMPUTER. The option blocks all of the drives. However, I do want to allow one drive which is "H:" to be used by Home Folders. When I map the drive, this drive is also blocked. I know that there is a registry key by which you can specify the drives that sholud be allowed but I can't find the key. Please Help.

2. When a user types a new word or other office document and tries to save it, the default path is My Documents. How can I change this path to something else.

Thanks For The Help.
    Eli Leibzon

The key you are after is:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Explorer
    The Values you want are:
    both are of REG_SZ type.
    The data is constructed like this:
    A = 1
    B = 2
    A+B = 3
    C = 4

So if you want for example to restrict only A,B,C and D drives, the data is 15. Do your math and you will be able to figure out how to block all drive letters while excluding the H: drive.

I would suggest you looking at system.adm Administrative Template and edit it to suite your needs.
    It should reside at c:\winnt\inf folder

Notice, that you will also want to restrict network drive mapping for users. Explore the Group Policies and I bet you will find some more usefull settings there.

2) Check out User Configuration--> Windows Settings --> Folder Redirection.
    Right-click "My Documents", choose Properties and select "Basic redirection"
    Fill in something like:
    \\server\%username%\My Documents
    (this will redirect the user's "My Documents" to a "My Documents" folder within a share with user's name
    (in W2K3 the syntax is slightly different.)

Also disable in the same GPO the user's ability to change the location of "My Documents" folder
    User Configuration --> Administrative Temlates --> Desktop --> Prohibit user from changing My Documents path
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Thanks for the help with the System.adm, it works!!!!

However, I don't want to use the file redirection option because I am using Home Folders and not My Documents.
      Eli Leibzon

What do you mean by "Home Folders" ?
        Where do you want "My Documents" to be redirected to ?
        Guy Teverovsky

I dont want to redirect my documents. I want that the default save path for office apps to be a mapped network drive (O
          Eli Leibzon

You can do that by working with the Office ADM files and adding them to the Administrative Templates of your GPO. Install the Office Reskit then add the ADM files.

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

i have done it but I didn't find the option there. Can you please give me the path.
              Eli Leibzon

You have to add Word's ADM file.
                Add word10.adm file to User Settings-->Administrative Templates .

From there:
                User Settings-->Administrative Templates-->Microsoft Word 2002-->Tools|Options...-->File Locations

The above applies to Office XP, I do not have at the moment Office 2000 or 2003 around to check if it's the same there.
                Guy Teverovsky

Eli Leibzon